Family Sharing TV App

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by RaceJunkie, Dec 19, 2016.

1. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

I have a child that id using an iPad and I just updated it to ios 10.2 When I open the TV App it states that he has no purchases. Shouldn't all the movies that I have bought over time show up here since I have family sharing on?

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Open iTunes>more>purchases>choose your profile>download content to her iPad.

3. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Is there a way that makes what we have purchased show on the start up page of the TV APP? Can the shows not be streamed instead of DL them?

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

On iOS it seems the TV app defaults to purchases but on tvOS its the "Up Next" that's the default. Don't think it can be changed.... hopefully I am wrong. I believe it can only be downloaded and not streamed. Could be a limitation demanded by the content owners. If they are Disney movies though, download the DisneyMoviesAnywhere app and connect it to your iTunes account. All your iTunes Disney movies will automatically show up there for streaming.

5. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I didn't even think about the Disney App.. Very helpful..

6. lindzo311 macrumors newbie

Did you ever figure this out? I can not figure out how they can stream movies from their iPad through the TV app without actually downloading them to their ipad.

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

If the iTunes account that was used to purchase content is the one being used on the Apple TV. Then there is no need to download then on the iPad just to airplay on the Apple TV. Just let them watch directly from the Apple TV.

Family sharing is just used for allowing others to view/download content without paying for it.

8. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

That's the thing, though. Family Sharing doesn't let a shared account view/stream shared content. You have to go to iTunes and download the content to your device, which basically misses the point of family sharing.

All shared content should show on the TV app. That's what Family Sharing means… iTunes is just a repository for purchases. It's like if you had to go to the App Store to launch a shared app everytime you had to use it. That doesn't make any sense. That's why the app can be downloaded to the home screen. TV (previously Videos) app is the same principle.