Family Sharing with iOS 7 and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OrionsByte, Sep 22, 2015.

1. OrionsByte macrumors regular

OrionsByte

I'm planning on giving my current iPhone 5S to my daughter to use as an iPod once I receive my 6S+, and we're going to pass the iPhone 4 she's been using down to her younger brother and sister. Up until now my daughter, my wife and I have all be sharing an iTunes store account but we have separate Apple IDs for everything else.

What I would like to do is set up Family Sharing, but since the iPhone 4 can't be upgraded past iOS 7, which doesn't support Family Sharing, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the end result will be. What I'll have to do of course is to continue sharing my iTunes account (which would be the primary account for Family Sharing) with the iPhone 4, so what I'm wondering is if my daughter downloads an app and then I download the same app via Family Sharing, will that app be subsequently visible as one of "my" apps on the iPhone 4?

If not, I suppose the workaround is to purchase any apps my daughter is interested in from my phone so I can put it on the iPhone 4 as well, but that mostly defeats the purpose of Family Sharing...

I'd appreciate any insight anyone has. I was gonna ask a Genius the next time I made it down to an Apple Store but I figured I'd ask all you nice people since I've been hanging out here all day. :p

2. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

You can download any app bought by any member.

I have purchases locked down so a child purchases something I get a notification and approve it. Very nifty

3. OrionsByte thread starter macrumors regular

OrionsByte

Right but what about the device that is incapable of participating in Family Sharing because of the iOS version? What will it have access to?

Basically I'll have two devices sharing the primary Apple ID for iTunes, but only one of those will have access to Family Sharing and the other won't... will they both still have access to all apps bought all all the shared devices?

I'm sorry if this is a bit confusing.

4. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Oh sorry forgot about that. I'm not sure. My lowest is a 5.