Family Sharing? Won't Work ARRGGHH

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iwayne, Sep 17, 2014.

1. iwayne, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

Has anyone gotten this thing to work correctly. I've loaded it onto both my wife and my phone. Turned on ALL aspects of it but yet I can't get my each other's purchases to show up in each others app/itunes accounts. I'm pretty good with iPhones(have had every single on but the 5C & jailbroken all). I followed all instructions on Apple's support page.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201085?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

All of a sudden it started working, may have needed a couple hours to register.

2. overlyunderme macrumors regular

overlyunderme

Good to know it eventually started working. I purchased a song on my iPad just to see if it would turn up on my wife's iPad and it hasn't yet. I'll give it a little while longer.

3. jayes macrumors regular

Does this work for ALL previous purchases or just those apps that the developers have authorized for family sharing?

4. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

Have set up for my wife and i.... likewise not working. But as yours starting working eventually, i'll wait a while and see if it starts working for me too.
    On a side note.... we just set up iOS 8.... but when i go to Settings > iCloud > Photos, and turn on both My photo stream and iCloud photo sharing... and back out.. it still shows Photos being "off". And if i restart the iPad.... both toggles are turned off again. What the heck?

5. Greenstein macrumors member

I, too, am in the "wait and see if it works right" situation. I added my wife's account to Family Sharing and everything seems to be working correctly (can see her devices in Find my iPhone) but what isn't working yet is the visibility in the App Store of her app purchases.

Hopefully some patience and a few hours and it'll start working.

6. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

Question: When you open the App Store, and click on Purchased.... up at the top, just below the option for either All or Not on This iPad... does yours say "To start sharing purchases, finish setting up Family Share in iCloud"...?
    the word iCloud is a link in that sentence... and it takes you back to the settings... but everything looks as it should. Weird.

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Yes. It just seems to be a bit of server side lag in the implementation, either inherent to this process or due to current server overload.

I had the same "problem". After about 30 minutes, everything started working correctly. I can now see my family purchases.

8. Greenstein macrumors member

I can see 2 of the other 3 accounts I've linked in (4 in total including mine). The 2 I did earlier today but don't recall a lag. For whatever reason my wife's account, which we linked about 3 hours ago doesn't show up under purchased.

9. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

I've only added one, but it does not show up under purchased. I've also been trying to get photo stream to work... took a photo on my phone, but is not showing up in her shared photos folder.

10. Greenstein macrumors member

It's all starting to roll through now, so it just takes 2-4 hours in my case.

11. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Same here. Took a couple hours to show up on the second device.