Family Sharing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by fjfjfjfj, Sep 20, 2014.

1. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I removed my apple id from my daughter's iPad (the workaround we had been using for years so we could share music and apps) and signed up for family share and added her. Everything seems to be setup correctly, her iPad says that she is part of the family, and that I am managing purchases, etc, etc. But no music is showing up in her music folder or showing any of the music from iCloud, it's just empty. Someone suggested buying a free app on her iPad to 'kickstart' the servers, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions or anyone get this thing to work?

2. fjfjfjfj thread starter macrumors regular

I may have figured something out. Are you telling me that you cannot just play songs from the cloud on family share like you could when you were logged in under the same apple id? I just found the music but you have to go to the iTunes App and look under purchases and then click my name (on my daughter's iPad). There are all the songs I've ever purchased, or she purchased using my apple id. You can download them there, but I don't want them all to live on her iPad, I want her to be able to play them from the cloud like she always could. Is that not possible with Family Sharing because if not then I will just go back to the old setup where she is logged in using my apple id.

3. timshundo macrumors regular

I think people are also slowly realizing that the service you're referring to, iTunes Match, is not a part of Family Sharing. It's a huge bummer but I'm sure they'll provide it to Family Share accounts in the future.

4. fjfjfjfj thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, not even just iTunes match but when you purchase a song and as long as you have "show all songs" turned on you can see the song on your other devices even without downloading it and you can play it by streaming it from iCloud. That option doesn't seem to be available in the family sharing setup. That's unfortunate because our devices could never hold all of our music physically on the device and we stream a lot from the cloud. (We actually don't even have iTunes match).

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nooo, you can stream purchased music from your account without downloading it. That got introduced in iOS 7. Same thing with movies and TV shows. iTunes Match basically is for adding your ripped stuff to your purchased list and allowing remote playback without it being on the device.

I am having the same issue trying to let my parents watch my stuff on their iPads. Now it works streaming ANYTHING on Apple TV, but as far as I can tell on iPads and iPhones you have to download music, TV shows and movies. You obviously would have to download apps, but I've heard that IAPs aren't accessible that way.

I don't get why Family Sharing isn't built into the Music and Videos apps the way it's built in to those same apps on Apple TV. The way it works is obviously better than not working, but I sure as heck don't feel like hand-holding them through downloading songs, playing them, removing as needed, blah blah blah. I've put a password storing app on my dad's phone, iPad and computer and he still won't just look up his damn passwords instead of resetting them, which if you've ever reset an Apple ID password, AUUGGGHHH.

So after I get my new phone and it still doesn't work, I'll probably just find a way to send Apple an email about it and suggest that feature. I also wish I knew how to share only certain media because I'd like to share a few movies and TV shows with my nephews. I'm fine with sharing some TMNT cartoons with them, but I don't think they need access to the unrated edition of "American Pie."