Family Tree Creators for Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macosxisdabest, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macosxisdabest macrumors member

Are there any family tree makers (pedigree charts, ancestor charts) for macs? I had Family Tree Maker on Windows years ago. Are there any programs like Family Tree Maker for macs?

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Try Geni (Geni.com). I don't remember if it's free or not or what their pricing plans are, but it's online so it'll work with either a Mac or a Windows-based PC.

I signed up a while ago, but haven't used so I can't offer my feedback on it's usefulness. sry.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reunion has been around since 1916. It is probably the best genealogy application for the Mac. MacFamilyTree has been around since 1974. It appears to do everything that you might want. If neither of these float you boat, then you may find something that does here or there.

4. macosxisdabest thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I'll try those sites!

5. macosxisdabest thread starter macrumors member

You know, I am looking for more applications like "Family Tree Maker", where charts or pedigrees could be made directly by creating a box for each person and a user could connect the person with an arrow to show parents, siblings, etc. Family Tree Maker had it, but I gathered so much information for my family tree that I didn't have enough space ;) ... Anything more like "Family Tree Maker"?

6. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It's been a while since I've used Reunion. The web site -- leisterpro.com -- should give a good overview of its possibilities.

For the past couple of years, I've been using MacFamilyTree. It does a pretty good job at charts and pedigrees. The user gets plenty of options to manipulate, but unfortunately, it outputs its formats either to PNGs or PDFs. There's no vector-based option which would mean more finetuning in better suited software.

Macupdate.com will have the latest copy. The company's web site is synium.de.

mt