Family Tree Maker for the Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HJKeats, Jul 24, 2008.

1. HJKeats macrumors newbie

I just become the proud owner of a MacBook Pro and now the real fun begins.

I currently use Family Tree Maker (database of 23,000 individuals) and I would like to port this application to the Mac. Can anyone give me the beginners guide to installing FTM on the Mac, s/w I will need and any other tips to make the transition to Mac rewarding.

Thanks...

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Since there is no Mac version of the software you will need a copy of Windows and, if you want to use virtualization instead of a full-blow Windows install via bootcamp, a copy of VMWare Fusion or Parallels. You may be able to get the software to work with Crossover but there is a much higher chance of incompatibilities, if the software even runs at all.

3. mykoljay macrumors member

I'm sure you would not want to import that data...but have you seen geni.com.

4. HJKeats thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the helpful reply. It seems that Parallels is the way to go (had a look at the reviews) and hopefully things will go smooth. I haven't got into the install yet as my new Mac is in transit as we speak. I guess the installation of Parallels will help me through the installation of the Windows OS. I would assume the installation of FTM would have to be while in a Windows OS session!!!

In the meantime I called the FTM folk and they directed me to a Mac application called Reunion.