Family Tree Software for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RightMACatU, Jul 7, 2014.

1. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Anyone with a recommendation for a Family Tree App on OS X?

Reviews on these Apps are less than stellar (My Family Tree, MacFamilyTree 7 and FamilyTree).

Heredis 2014 @ $60 seems to work but with only 6 reviews.

Thanks

2. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

Without any hesitation.
    Family Tree Maker. It is by far and away the most complete and the easiest to use of all the family tree packages.
    I have been professionally researching family histories for many years and this package is the only desktop genealogy database for Mac as far as I am concerned.
    If you use Ancestry.com then the package integrates very nicely and keeps your local and online trees synchronised.
    I also develop family history web sites, and use the GEDCOM export facility of Family Tree Maker for all my downloads.

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I've been using MacFamily Tree 7 and am very Happy with it. Syncs seamlessly with my iPhone, iPad and iPad mini.

4. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

Same here.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you have an account with Ancestry.com, then Family Tree Maker is a good choice. It allows you to access your account and to manage your family trees on the site. If you don't have an Ancestry.com account, then MacFamilyTree 7 is just lovely. IMHO, it is the best looking of the Mac genealogy applications. Looks aside, MFT has surprising depth in the life events that it accounts for.

6. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

I have to agree with the above posts. It's worth it. You can even export your tree to a personal website. Tons of options and reporting. Once you add it to Ancestry.com or other service you've got an awesome little history book.

7. RightMACatU thread starter macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

8. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

Take a look at Reunion for Mac. I've been using it for years and have been very happy with it.