famous 15" uMBP hinge problem, new anecdote.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gr80Likes2Boogi, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just a new story about the ol' beaten horse story of the loose hinge of the PITA screen hinges.

Took it today to the Genius bar, had an appointment to send it out and get a new screen put on. I bought the laptop November of '08, and had the screen replaced once in February of '09. It was going to go in for it's 3rd display, and the Genius behind the bar asked if I'd mind if he could take it in back and check the screws to see if anything progressive could be done. He came back about 5 minutes later, and the screen was good as new. He said the left side (as you're looking at it from an open position) had 3 screws that were almost out.

Just thought I'd share the experience, as a bunch of us are having this problem. Now I have a good jumping off point, we can see how long my screw-tightening shenanigans last. Hopefully this is the kind of fix that I can do myself as necessary (I'll have to check ifixit for the diagram and stuff)

And FYI, it feels like the day I bought it. Finally, confidence in my $3,000 laptop!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Good tip, the hinges use 3 torx screws which are just the right size they can be adjusted with a right-size allen wrench ;)

Take the lid off and tighten dem suckers up!