Fan always on after latest update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ashtongate, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ashtongate macrumors member

Morning...
    Can anyone please advise, decided to install all the latest updates last night on my Macbook and it seems now that the fan is constantly on... I think the latest update was 10.5 (anyway whatever the latest one was).
    I have gone into the activity app and everything seems to be fine there, in fact the top thing running was the activity app itself.
    I am used to the fan cutting in when I am watching a movie etc but something seems to be up.

Please any help from anyone?

Appreciate!

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The fan is always running, no matter what. When the computer is mostly idle it just runs at slower speed.

Are you sure you are seeing "All Processes" in Activity Monitor instead of the default "My Processes"?

You can also download the iStat Pro widget to monitor your temps and fan speeds.

3. ashtongate thread starter macrumors member

Thanks eXan
    It definitely sounds like its ‘taking off’ not just on.
    It seems that it started after the update… and I am sure (although I will check) that I went into all processes (there are options on the right tabs)?

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its right under the window title

Attached Files:

5. ashtongate thread starter macrumors member

ahh.... no, I didn't select all - let me check tonight and I will be in touch if thats ok?
    Appreciate!

6. ashtongate thread starter macrumors member

Well done - some lexmark cups driver thing taking up all the cpu in activity monitor !

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Happes sometimes when printer fails to complete a job :)

8. jaycity macrumors newbie

Delete all failed or pending printing processes and it'll go away. :cool: You shouldn't have to do that though problem is with the lexmark drivers.

PS: I just had the problem today, so I'm guessing problem still exists and that is the only reason why I'm hitting this old thread.

9. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Exact same thing happened to me.

I forced the Lexmark driver to quit; however, it keeps popping back up anytime I close my computer then open it back up. How do I disable it permanently?

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

My fan just randomly started coming on after I updated to 10.6.6; it just now turned off, but I'm pretty sure its going to turn on pretty soon. I tried a SMC Reset, and tried to delete some printing jobs (no jobs were there), looked in Activity Monitor and the only thing I had running was Safari. Not sure what the problem is... I'm just glad that the fan has stopped working (for now). If anyone has a fix please tell me. Thanks in advance!

11. john2049 macrumors member

hey...i had the same problem after 10.6.6 too! ugh, annoying. ok, so i simply went into print and fax settings and deleted the lexmark printers and any other that were "green" or that i havent used in a while...it can always re add the ones i don't use a super amount...this is obviously after i ended the lexmark driver thing in activity monitor...
    i tested real quick, closed the lid...waiting 30 secs and opened, and no activity has yet to pop back up... hope that helps...we'll see if when i restart it comes back..but i think that may have done it

12. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

I just had this happen, and I cleared out my printer queue, instantly solved my issue! BTW I am running 10.6.6

13. brennra macrumors newbie

Im having the same problem with my macbook. After I got a battery problem fixed two weeks ago, my battery only lasts 2 hours after its fully charged. I looked up the CPU usage, and its telling me that the LexmarkCUPS driver is using 100%.. but I dont have anything thats Lexmark, so is this something to do with Apple?!