Fan and power problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheBlueTree, Jan 4, 2011.

1. TheBlueTree macrumors newbie

Hello, First time here,
    I had a problem with my external hard drive, a lacie 2 TB. I've had it since mid summer 2010 and it's worked fine, until today or yesterday. I store my movies and music on it and watch and listen directly from the external.

I was watching movies via front row and it suddenly cut and I got a green screen. I got out of front row, looked at my finder window and the folders of my external displayed the information it held but not the files. Anyways I ejected and plugged it back in and continued watching via VLC, it cut out again and I reset it again.

Today I get a warning when I plug in that same external "USB over current notice" and it doesn't let my external show up. I have a second external a 500gb I use for backups, it works fine in all the ports. I looked around forums and similar problems suggested to reset my PRAM and SMU. As soon as I reset my SMU my fans went into overdrive and still are.

The USB error continued, I reset the PRAM, it continued I did it again just for kicks and now it seems to work, but the fans are still in over drive. I normally use SMCfancontrol to monitor my temp but it doesn't slow my fans down, just reads '32F, 000rpm'.

I just want the fans to stop right now but if anyone knows why the USB error occurred/if it happens again that would be nice too.

And here's the additional info about my mac.
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
    Serial Number (system): QP84203ZZE3
    Hardware UUID: 2CEFA062-92AE-57FB-8F27-500CE292BE76

2. TheBlueTree thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I called mac, apparently if you reset your SMU on the imac like on the G5 (holding down the power button while plugging int he power cord) it will make your fans go overdrive. Shutting down and unplugging, repluging and then turning it on again fixed my fans.