Fan blowing at max

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alphaod, Dec 20, 2012.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually leave my Mac Pro on 24/7 and I went on a trip a few weeks ago. Sometimes during my trip my Mac Pro crashed. I got home yesterday to find the fans blowing at maximum speed. I've tried a SMC reset that didn't do anything.

I'm thinking a thermal sensor is broken, but iStat doesn't list anything as over temp… I'm wondering what I can do at this point, and it's just out of AppleCare by a few months (though a lot of parts where replaced the week before AppleCare ran out).

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Is there no 3 months warranty on repairs?
    Never heard of that this is the case, what I would do is call Apple and mention it was repaired a while ago and you have problems again, they might solve it for free.

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Have you given the insides a good cleaning lately? I've heard of dust balls shorting things out inside, if it's been a really long time since you've gone in and cleaned. Perhaps a loose connection here or there as well, but I gather it was untouched while you were gone, so maybe not.

I'd also do the PRAM reset, not just the SMC. I have had full fan syndrome once myself, and I did the PRAM and SMC resets together, so I don't know which fixed it, but it returned to normal after and ever since.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Update on this.

I tore the entire computer apart.

Cleaned everything, rid of all dust and debris. It's not having any more issues.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm glad you got it resolved!
    Good call.
    NVRAM has nothing to do with fan issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.