Fan Change?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by puremick, Jan 26, 2012.

1. puremick macrumors newbie

I recently changed my keyboard on my Macbook(plastic had a nice chip in it) and it was an easy task and to my surprise you could access just about everything with the top cover off. My Macbook runs LOUD! It definitely sounds like the fan and not the grinding of a hard drive. Also my Macbook likes to rev up and get loud and hot. I know this has to due with applications most of the time but it will even do it when I boot up and let it sit. I laso did the SMC reset to no avail. Any thoughts on changing the fan? Hoping to get rid of that loud sound. I sit next to a friend who has a macbook pro mine sounds like a jet next to it. Thanks for suggestions!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before attempting anything like that, install iStat Pro to get an accurate reading of your temps and fan speed.

3. puremick thread starter macrumors newbie

I have installed Istat Pro and the CPU gets up to 70 degrees Farenheit and the Fan Goes from 1750 RPMs to over 6000 RPM's during these episodes. Revs high when I run youtube or sites that may require a lot of resourcse but the Free RAM still remains the same. I dunno!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those CPU temps are quite normal and well within safe operating range. What about the GPU temps? If the fan spins up to 6000 rpm with the CPU/GPU in the 70s, Try resetting the SMC again.

Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of around 1800 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues: