Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi all,

So I have a new 2011 Mac mini and wanted to change the hard drive to an ssd and also upgraded the ram. Along the reassembly process I broke the little female part that is part of the logic board, preventing me from properly connecting the male end of the cable that belongs to the spinning fan.

I tried taking the connector back on but to no success and now the fan doesn't spin whilst the Mac is on and the Mac mini gets quite hot.

The fan and the cable work. The male end is just broken so won't click in.

SUGGESTIONS?

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
if it doesnt bother you, just lift the mm slightly and leave the bottom open.

You can cut a unused usb connector and use it to power a 12cm pc fan under it. Just go for a higher rpm fan as the usb port is 5v.

Else, you can learn how its done and replace it

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
L2 compter on Ebay will repair Mac mini logic boards for $152. As far as glue goes, you probably need some nonconductive epoxy that they used to use on Video Ciphers. Mine was worse. I broke off the power connector going to the SATA drive
[doublepost=1468478351][/doublepost]
if it doesnt bother you, just lift the mm slightly and leave the bottom open.

You can cut a unused usb connector and use it to power a 12cm pc fan under it. Just go for a higher rpm fan as the usb port is 5v.

Else, you can learn how its done and replace it

I thought all PC fans were +12 or were +12 or +5 auto sensing

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You have broken the most common part while replacing the HDD. Don't worry it can be repaired. It cost me £80 to repair mine. I'd suggest finding a repair centre that will do the job right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.