Fan constantly keeps running

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dlassss, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Dlassss macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a MacBook Pro 13" from 2010. My fan constantly keeps running from the moment I turn my MacBook on. And that while there's nothing running, just finder. Temperature and CPU load have been checked and it was perfectly normal. Just my fan was running on max RPM.
    Sometimes, like once in a week, the fan will return to idle, with no explanation. This lasts 10 minutes, sometimes longer.

I've already been to an Apple Store, where I've been told that there is detected liquid damage and that I have to buy a new Logic Board. But I can tell you that I have always been very careful with my MacBook and there was never any liquid on my MacBook, as far as I know. I searched on google many times for other things that I could try to make my fan run normal again. But i couldn't find anything yet that worked.

Can you give me any advice?

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

What RPM are they running at exactly? MacBook Pro fans run at ~2000 RPM constantly no matter what, going higher when they need to.

iStat Pro is a free widget that can tell you fan speed if you need.

3. Dlassss thread starter macrumors newbie

@iStudentUK: Thanks, but yes I downloaded iStat before and it's running at 6000 RPM

I haven't tried SMC yet, so I will try that, thanks simsaladimbamba.

4. Dlassss thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried SMC but it didn't work.. it's still running at maximum RPM
    Can I do anything else to fix this?

5. teracon macrumors newbie

I'm having the very same problem, since about a week or so. Tried pretty much everything. PRAM reset, SMC reset, fixing disk permissions etc. Running out of options right now. My Macbook is only 5 months old, always took good care of it. Temperature stays normal (cpu around 45c). Fans rpm up to 6000+.

I will follow this thread, hoping for a solution.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The fans will put themselves on max speed if a thermal sensor is going bad. Otherwise try one or two SMC resets, that's all I can think of.

7. teracon macrumors newbie

I've done a lot of SMC resets by now. Yesterday I've done something else I read somewhere. Let the power drain completly and leave it like that for a couple of hours. When I recharged it seems to be working beter, fan not starting at 6000 rpm right after login. Also it slows down from around 6000 rpm to 2500 rpm.

I'll test some more tonight, yesterday I only used it for an hour or so. I'm not trying to 'hijack' this thread, just having the same problem and searching for a solution :)