Fan constantly on fast and loud

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macgic, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Macgic macrumors 6502

As the title says my fan is always on. It used to be on only when watching a movie or something of that sort. However, now when I open my computer the fan comes on within a minute. I wont even have a application on. Any suggestions? I have a macbook if that helps.

I have tried putting my MB on a desk on my lap etc nothing helps

thanks,

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Check with Activity Monitor which process/application is using all the CPU. If an application is stuck using most of the CPU time it will heat up and the fan will be running fast.

3. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

What should be running? I have a bunch of random stuff running. There's only one thing taking up a significant amount of space and thats Firefox.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It's normal to have many process running but try to order them by CPU (by clicking on the header).

What are the top entries? Hoiw much CPU do they use?

Also check the total CPU usage in the lower part of the Activity Monitor window. How much is inactive?

5. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

activity monitor>1.2
    Firefox>.3
    systemUiserver>.1
    quicksilver>.0

and everything else is 0.0

6. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

it can also be the harddrive usage. i suggest you lower the performance so that it won't make such a big sound.

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

In those entries there is nothing than can explain the fan running fast. Did you select "All processes" in the top left corner in activity monitor? What does it show then? If it's set differently it won't show all the processes running on your system.

8. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks that did it! I found one that was over 100.

thanks,