Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Hello,

I received my 17" MBP three days ago, and like a lot of people I have problems with heat and graphic card which lead to instability (freeze).

Under Mac OS there is a little app which allows to control the SMC fan. It solved my problem of stability under Mac OS.

This kind of app doesn't exist under Vista/XP with bootcamp.
Previously, there was Input Remapper which gave the same functionality, but this application doesn't work with Unibody generation.

I would like to develop a small application like SMC Fan Control working under Vista/XP.
Do you have a starting point where I could find the C++ libraries or bridge to control fan ?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Hello,

I received my 17" MBP three days ago, and like a lot of people I have problems with heat and graphic card which lead to instability (freeze).

Under Mac OS there is a little app which allows to control the SMC fan. It solved my problem of stability under Mac OS.

This kind of app doesn't exist under Vista/XP with bootcamp.
Previously, there was Input Remapper which gave the same functionality, but this application doesn't work with Unibody generation.

I would like to develop a small application like SMC Fan Control working under Vista/XP.
Do you have a starting point where I could find the C++ libraries or bridge to control fan ?

Do the unibodies not allow you to reboot and have SMC still work? On mine I can set the setting in OS X, and then when I reboot into Windows, it stays.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Do the unibodies not allow you to reboot and have SMC still work? On mine I can set the setting in OS X, and then when I reboot into Windows, it stays.

Yeah, that's what I do on my Unibody MBP.

When I'm ready to play a game or two on Windows side, I just use SMCfancontrol to boost it up to 6200rpm and restart into Windows.

It stays that way.

But yeah, developing would be awesome. Make it to a donationware, I'll probably help out as well (donations). Input Remapper causes my MBP to freeze :(

G'luck!

pacome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
When I'm ready to play a game or two on Windows side, I just use SMCfancontrol to boost it up to 6200rpm and restart into Windows.
Yes, it works, but after a shutdown the SMC fan returns to default values...
Then you have to boot again on Mac OS before restarting under windows.
That's why I want to develop a small app which controls fan directly under windows.

simonpickard

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Yes, it works, but after a shutdown the SMC fan returns to default values...
Then you have to boot again on Mac OS before restarting under windows.
That's why I want to develop a small app which controls fan directly under windows.

Hi there,

Not sure how you're getting on with this app but count me in for paying for it when it's done.

I would gladly pay money for a small app that allows me to set fan speeds in windows vista 64.

How's it all going? Any ideas when you'll be ready with a release?

All the best,

Regards,
Simon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.