Fan Control Help (smc)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Abscissa, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Abscissa macrumors regular

I just downloaded smc fan control and have some questions. I have a Macbook (4.1 I think). It's a 2.1ghz processor, 1GB of RAM.

OK, so I have had iStat for a while and my fan idles at 1800, which I know is the default. I changed the default speed to 2300 just to cool it a little, but now the fan speed doesn't go up by itself/automatically. I was watching a youtube video and had a emulator with a ROM running and it got to like 173º(CPU) And I quickly changed the fan speed to make it go down. I then quit smc, and put laptop into sleep mode and turned it back on. And the temps spiked under usage but no change in fans, so I had to open smc and turn the speeds up.

I looked in the FAQs and it said the fan would still go up based on CPU load. Whenever my CPU would get to like 150 my fans would begin to speed up, normally maxing out at like 5800.

So after that long rant, my question is what am I doing wrong? Why won't my fans change automatically? I don't really have an issue with changing the speeds myself, but other, less technologically advanced people use my macbook and I don't want my processor to burn up. lol

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's not going to burn up.

You raised the minimum speed for the fan, therefore, the system will slightly be hotter then before before revving up the fans.

The SMC automatically controls the fan speed based on CPU temperature, heatsink temperature and other variables. It doesn't just rely on the CPU temperature.

173 deg F is not hot. CPU's can handle over 220 deg F before damage occurs.

3. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks. I never knew what the highest temp for these were. Normally mine would get to like 165 and the fans would rev up to like 5800. But it was weird because those 2 times it didn't cut on, but now after posting htis they started to speed up at like 150 and got to like 3500.

Thanks for the help again. off topic.....What kind of bike it that? I can't tell from the small picture, either that or my mind is failing me. It looks like a yamaha, but I feel like a wrong. haha

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's actually an 2008 Honda CBR600RR.