Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Oh my god! Here's the story: My iMac was really quiet before, only noticable in a silent room. I just wanted to test if I mabye get it even QUIETER with "iMac Fan Control" - I installed the thing and after doing so, the DVD fan (and probably also the HD fan) boosted up in a second, now run MUCH higher and noisier than before. When I saw that the iMac Fan control settings were at their LOWEST, I deinstalled the program and also deleted any files from this program. But the fans keep going strong, even after rebooting and turning off the computer! It is as if there now is a new standard fan setting "branded" in my iMac. OMG, can anybody help me how to fix this? Sorry for talking confusing ****, but I am in panic right now. Thanks in advance!!!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for your fast reply - I tried this, but no luck yet. When the iMac boots, the fans are stil normal quiet, but as soon as desktop appears, they bump up. I really, REALLY hope this fu**ing program didn't write something in my settings. Will try again. Any other help appreciated. Thanks!!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There's one more bit of advice I can give you. I've tried the MacBook version of this program and it runs a background daemon to control the fans. You might have to hunt it down in Activity Monitor. (remember to view all processes!)

You'll have to kill this process and maybe delete a few more files.

Last but not least check your Login Items in System Prefereces -> Accounts. It might be a startup item from what you say.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try it out right now. Just found the official board of the program (http://www.lobotomo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=others) and it seems as if a lot of people have the problem and there's no solution even when freshly install the system!!! Oh my god ... excuse my bad English but it get's bad when I am excited ... (not a native speaker)

Can you give me the name of the process? I don't find it. If it is called "Fan Control" or something like this, it isn't there anymore.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well all that I did was remove the preference pane and kill that process it was running to remove it.

I think you might have to make a backup and try an Archive & Install with your OS X DVDs. :(

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I have a Time Machine backup and could restore the computer, but some guy on the support board wrote that even THIS didn't solve the problem ... I get a little afraid. I'll go to bed now with the cable unplugged and try again tomorrow if the SMC did a reset. Mabye a few minutes aren't enough ...? I'm such a DUMB idiot installing this ****!! Anyway, thanks for your help. If I get the problem solved, I will let you know. Any other hints are welcome and sorry again for my bad English when the panic overcomes me ...

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
I have a Time Machine backup and could restore the computer, but some guy on the support board wrote that even THIS didn't solve the problem ... I get a little afraid. I'll go to bed now with the cable unplugged and try again tomorrow if the SMC did a reset. Mabye a few minutes aren't enough ...? I'm such a DUMB idiot installing this ****!! Anyway, thanks for your help. If I get the problem solved, I will let you know. Any other hints are welcome and sorry again for my bad English when the panic overcomes me ...

Reinstall smcFanControl and lower the fans to default.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Saw no other chance left that to reinstall my whole system - after this terrible night the fans now work fine again. Thanks for the help everybody, really appreciate the community here. Need to get some sleep now ... (and will NEVER install a fan program again!)

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Saw no other chance left that to reinstall my whole system - after this terrible night the fans now work fine again. Thanks for the help everybody, really appreciate the community here. Need to get some sleep now ... (and will NEVER install a fan program again!)

I highly recommend installing smcFanControl 2.0 and raising the fans just a little bit. It gets your iMac a lot cooler for barely any increase in noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.