Fan control on 2016 tbMBP's - can it be done / should it be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertfrancis70, Dec 4, 2016.

1. robertfrancis70 macrumors newbie

Just acquired the base 15" from the Apple Store and am very happy with it so far. One thing I notice is that the fans run a tiny bit louder than the one(s) on my mid-2014 15" MBP. It's not a massive issue, but I work in a quiet room much of the time and am sensitive to sound. It feels a bit like a step back in time to having a spinning drive humming at all times.

Wonder if there is a fan control app or setting and if so is it a good idea to use it--even to crank it down just a bit? My usage: purely email, surfing, Word, and PP. (Why did I buy this, then? Cuz it's beautiful! Topic for another post...)

A second possibility I haven't ruled out is that the machine is indexing in the background, given that I've had it for only two days. I doubt this, but I don't know how to figure it out.

Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, it would best to leave the new Mac alone and either get used to the minimal sound or wear ear plugs if you are that sensitive. If you mess with the fan speed you could end up damaging your Mac. And for what? So you can resolve a minor preference? Think long and hard before you do anything you might regret.

3. MrMuetze macrumors newbie

So I am sort of a bit sensible concerning this issue too, and I've read that the 13 inch models actually turn off their fans if the machine is idle or only has low temperatures. Does this not apply to the 15 inch models? I haven't found much info concerning this and this might be helpful for OP too. So do the fans on the 15 inch always run at around 2000 rpm? I thought maybe my SMC was corrupted, but I had no change trying to reset it (no background processes are running and the machine is cool).

Best regards,
    MrMuetze

4. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for 15inch, but the fan on my 13inch barely spins up.
    even during a photo library repair, CPU is running @~50% for ~30 minutes, CPU core stays at about 60C.
    however, the amazing part is that the MacBook is running at a passive cooling status, both fans are NOT spinning.

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

What are you using to monitor CPU temps?

6. robertfrancis70 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have smcFanControl installed, just to monitor it, and the left fan has been running at roughly 2150 to 2200 the entire afternoon, while the right one has been constant at about 2000.

And again, this is the low end 15" 2016 MCP with 256...

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Seems about right for idle speed, and if at idle, that's as slow as the fans will turn (assuming they never turn off while power is on.)

8. robertfrancis70 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a deal breaker. Just something to get used to. They're only very slightly louder than the ones on the 2014 but loud enough to be noticeable...

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

I uninstalled smc on my new mbp hoping sometimes the fans are just off. Smc doesn't give that option.

10. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

istat menus,
    I believe Monity for Notification Center does the same thing.