Fan control software for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BB.King, Jul 11, 2012.

1. BB.King macrumors regular

I've tried different fan control software with the rMBP without any success. The fan speed is still set by the OS. Can somebody please suggest a fan control software that works with the rMBP?

Many thanks

I've tried:

Fan Control 1.2, it says need to close and re-launch System Preference every time.

iStat menus 3 and smsFanControl, both programme settings have no effect on the fan speed.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need fan control software. Your Mac will manage temperatures and fans automatically, keeping temps within a safe operating range, without the need for user interference.

3. BB.King thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replay, the temperature is close to 100C when encoding videos. Since I'm using this machine to encode video over night almost every day, I'd like to set the fan to maximum to bring down the temperature a bit.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal that it gets that hot under intensive loads. It won't overheat. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

5. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Are you sure the fans are not already running at full speed? In my experience, aby time I have adjust the fan speed the computer still reaches the temps it did without any control. It may take slightly longer, but it does. I have however had issues with fan control software , where the software would glitch every now and then and temps would sky rocket because fan speed was not bumping up properly.

6. BB.King thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to make sure the machine don't auto-shut off during the night due to CPU temperature exceed the safety limit, and I end out with a queue of unfinished videos.

I think the fan goes over 5,000rmp at full speed, I have not see it yet, 3,500 is the maximum I seen.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try it and see if it does. It will throttle the CPU before it reaches shutdown temps.

Maximum fan speed is around 6200 rpm.

8. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I would just invest in a stand of some sort that will eleveate the laptop enough to increase the air flow under and around it. I think you will be just fine :)

9. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

smcFanControl works with my retina. You can adjust the fan speed all day errday.

The temp reading is always 32 degrees F, so that needs to be fixed.

I am using Version 2.3

10. BB.King, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

BB.King thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered this laptop cooling fan, hopefully it will help a bit.

I installed the same version, set the fans to maximum (5900rpm) and restarted the laptop, the CPU temp is current at 82C, and smcFanControl is showing around 3000rpm and reporting CPU temp as 0C.

11. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

SMC partially works for me. The temp sensor however is stuck @ 0.

12. KlodrikMcKr macrumors newbie

I have the new rMBP and all I need to do is set the speed, exit the program and when I open it again the fan speed is set :D

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you are concerned with the temperatures and want to reduce them elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of teh Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing the air across the base of the computer.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control (needs update for 2012, as temp sensor is presently not recognised), or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp.

UltaFan http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1214206&page=5

----------

IVB has a different arrangement so the present version of SMC Fan Control is unable to see the CPU temp sensor. You can monitor the temperature with Bresink`s Temperature Monitor (free & very comprehensive).

14. Queen6, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

To really make an impact on temperatures, you really need to use all of the methods above to make an impact; an elevated Mac with the right cooler will definitely run at lower at a lower temperature.

I use the Rain Designs Mstand and it is by far the best for any portable Mac, not only elevating the display to a more ergonomic position, it also helps to wick away heat from the system. The downside is you need use an externa keyboard and for some mouse/trackpad, however when the day comes that a drink/beverage is split on your work area, the Mstand is likely to be the best investment you have ever made with any IT peripheral ;)

Powered coolers are a subject to themselves, I have tried numerous over the years with the vast majority doing little or nothing, and in some cases actually confusing the Mac`s cooling system to reduce fan rpm`s prematurely and resultantly CPU/GPU temp`s increase. So far I have only seen two solutions that really work; as Apple choose to use the aluminium case as a heat-sync this is the key as you need a constant horizontal flow of air across the base of the machine. The typical PC type powered coolers in general just blow air directly up and as a result do little to reduce temps. The Moshi Zefyr 2 works albeit at a high cost, equally it is made to the same standard as a Mac. A less elegant method is a strategically placed USB fan, once again blowing horizontally across the base of the Apple portable. It does end to go against logic, however this does work without the Zefyr my Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7 case heats up significantly during video encoding, with the Zefyr it remains cool even the top case, as the heat is wicked away by the horizontal airflow across the base. I need to spend more time with the Retina to see the result, although in general the IVB Retina runs significantly cooler than the SDB MBP.

Software can help in the sense of mitigating the system heating up, Apple`s own approach has always been one biasing the algorithm towards a quietness over cooling. This isn't to say the cooling is ineffective just that the fans only tend to spool up once high temperatures are already reached. Basically it`s easier to prevent temperatures rising, than cool an already hot machine, down. Software being more of a preventative measure than cure, as once a portable Mac is saturated by high temperature the cooling system running at 100% is still not enough resulting in some models throttling CPU/GPU to reduce the thermal load.

Why? Just look at the dimensions of your Mac, it`s the trade off for the slim quiet design, even then they still perform better than many PC`s thermally which is very much a testament to Apple`s engineering prowess.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think that's the problem: you restarted the laptop. It will auto-default after a restart I'm sure.

16. stevelam macrumors 65816

Istat menu's fan control works just fine on my RMBP.

17. Queen6, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

SMC Fan Control is just an app, it is non persistent, however if you do a restart the fan RPM is persistant, you need to exit the app or do a full shutdown.

----------

OS X is clearly driving your fans, open SMC Fan Control and increase the fan rpm`s. If you want a more automated solution try UltraFan, the app will look to hold a predefined temperature by increasing/decreasing fan RPM`s, you wont get a lot of detailed feedback, however what you will get is a cooler Mac at the cost of some noise ;)