Fan Control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuillaumeB, May 10, 2008.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Hi all,

A while back i installed Fan Control on my MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz.

Since then I have processed to at least two clean install of Leopard. From what I have read, the application is lcated in the MBP firmware.
    So I have a couple of questions for you:

- How do I uninstall Fan control?

- well should i be stuck with it then, I am not sure I really understand how to use it:

I am reading:

Fan control:
    Base speed: 1500RPM
    Lower Threshold: 50°c
    Upper Threshold: 80°c

Current values:
    Left fan: 1593 RPM
    Right fan: 1600 RPM
    Temperature: 47,5°c

Are these settings OK? What types of configrtions would be dangerous for my machine?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

temps and settings are looking pretty good. no settings are dangerous just dont leave the fan manually set on 3000 RPM all the time as it will shorten the life on your fans and eat your battery life. my settings are

base speed: 1500 RPM
    lower: 48 ℃
    upper: 78 ℃

and my values are

right fan: ~2220 RPM
    left fan: ~2220 RPM
    temp: ~52 ℃

this is on a first gen MBP with Safari, Mail, Adium, iTunes and a few other apps and third party processes running with the processor at 90% idle.

to uninstall Fan Control put the fan speed back down to 1000rpm and right click on its preference pane and click remove. this will place it in the trash. then trash "Fan Control 1.2.pkg" in /Library/Receipts and the "FanControlDaemon" folder in /Library/StartupItems and then reboot.

3. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

i just want to add how i did it.

I installed 'imac fan control' (similiar to 'fan control')

1. delete smcfancontrol (if you already have this installed.)
    2. delete imac fan control' or 'fan control' as described, deleting the daemon + pref. pane in the library folder
    3. restart. now empty the trash can (that couldn't be deleted because files were being used). restart again.
    4. after a clean restart. once at the desktop, do a SMC reset. you'll hear a long beep that'll confirm.
    5. do a PRAM reset as you boot up. do this atleast twice. For a total of 3 startup beeps.
    6. confirm with istat widget that fans follows factory setting rpms.
    7. download and install smcfancontrol
    8. confirm with istat

my contribution to stress free, headache free fan control

4. jaybirdyoo macrumors newbie

Fan Control Question

I just got a 13inch MacBookPro 4GB RAM, 2.26GHZ processor, and iWork Preinstalled. I installed Fan Control and My left fan is at 3535 RPM and my right fan is at -1 RPM.
    Upper Threshold 50.0 c
    Lower Threshold 80.0 c
    Temp 64.6 c
    It is usually around 50ish temp but I am editing a movie right now. Is it bad that my right fan is at -1 RPM's:confused:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be sure, download the istat pro widget and see what that reports for fan speed. If it reports similarly, then yes you have a bad fan.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Don't the 13" MBs and MBPs only have one fan?

7. Magicbook macrumors newbie

8. uniqueeveryone macrumors newbie

concerned

yo guys, i have a 13inch white macbook unibody running fan control. my base speed is set at 1000rpm, but current value is over 3000, is that normal?

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's normal for fans to increase to 3000 rpm. The hotter your computer (the more strain you're putting on it with CPU intensive activities), the higher the rpm of your fans. Base speed is just the minimum speed it will ever spin. It will of course reach higher speeds than that.