FAN/Copr Discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacTo737, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MacTo737 macrumors newbie

Current Sprint trying to join the AT&T darkside.

Went to the AT&T store in Southlake, TX close to Southlake towncenter. I have a FAN number from work and many of my coworkers has gotten the discount put on their new 3G iphone plan at the store. When I asked them about the discount, they said it's not being honored for iphone 3G plans either. WTF. I told them they should check this site and all my coworkers. They got it, how come not me. He couldn't answer that question.

So I went to the Apple store, they said they can sell, activate a phone, but can't do anything with FAN/Corp discounts.

My question: Has anyone gotten a phone from apple and add the FAN/Corp discount on after they got the phone? Did ATT deny you because you didn't get the phone and activate the phone through them?

Thanks!

2. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

The discount works on the bill not on the iPhone 3G itself.
    You could buy it from Apple and simply add your FAN online. In my case, I simply went to ATT store bought the phone and they added it there and then simple as that.

3. downwardspiral macrumors newbie

Go to Apple. Buy the phone. Then enter your work/school email address on the following page. You will get an email with a link to enroll in the discount.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

Very easy and even better...you wont have to talk to anybody. You will then be able to login to your account on wireless.att.com and you will see the FAN #.

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I had a FAN number on my ATT account until last week. When I went in to upgrade to the new iPhone from my 1st gen iPhone, the Apple store showed me as ineligible b/c of the FAN number. I had to call ATT and have it removed b4 being able to purchase the new iPhone. Not sure why this is, as I wasn't getting any discounted rate on the iPhone; it had been on their from a previous phone plan 1+ years ago.

What's up with the FAN? :confused:

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

because he is another att mental midget. just sign up and add your fan by email.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Having a FAN on you account makes it "look" like a business account, even though it's actually individual. Apple doesn't/can't handle any business accounts.

It takes like 2 minutes to have it removed so the Apple store can access your account and then another 2 minutes to add it back on later, so it's not a big deal, just a hassle.

7. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

It seems its hit or miss with the FAN discounts. I have a discount with my college. I went to ATT to correct something that the apple genius messed up. And asked him about the FAN diccount and he assured me that the FAN accounts apply to the 3G iphone but not the 2G iphone...

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

It may take 2 minutes to re-add FAN account back on...no big deal right. Think again. It will take 2-3 billing cycles to start receiving your discounts again. Some of us may lose up to (those of us who have big cell phone bills/multiple lines) $100 waiting for the discounts to be applied to the monthly bills.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I bought two iPhones last Saturday at the AT&T Store on Bryant Irvin in Fort Worth. I was switching from Verizon. They had no problem adding the FAN to my new account.

10. aljlin macrumors regular

Because of the way the FAN discounts are applied, it makes the account look like a business account and ATT has said anyone who has a business account need to go to the ATT store to get their iPhone or take the FAN discount off. If you do want to go to the apple store, you can always take the FAN discount off and then add it again... it just may take awhile for it to populate again. Whenever I call ATT to do something about my account, I sometimes encounter people who say they can't do something with my account and need someone else to do that change because it's a business account.

11. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Actually, this link will help verify whether you qualify but to actually have it added you need to go into an AT&T store with proof of employment or student status. This apparently represents a change in policy and now you can't even add FAN discounts over the phone.

12. brian5 macrumors member

brian5

I went here. Filled in the form and got a email generated that went to work email address. Then went to that site and it said I was eligible.
    Eventually went here https://www.wireless.att.com/business/shop/index.jsp?WT.svl=1 where I clicked on Discounts Registration. I was able to successfully register to my AT&T account, that has the iPhone, and it said I should see the discounts in a billing cycle or 2 (or something like that).

13. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Yeah, my bad...looks like that works, too (although not what the AT&T rep told me on the phone!).

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

No, that shouldn't happen. It takes a few billing cycle to come off too, even though it appears to come off right away. So the overlap should leave you with no gap at all.

This happened to me when I changed employers, the month my old one actually ended was the months new one began, and it was switched within a few days of each other. As long as you don't delay it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you are concerned about a lapse on discount then go to an AT&T store. No risk...

15. brian5 macrumors member

brian5

The email, that I just received from AT&T, says "Please note that to the extent you are eligible for a service discount*, it may take up to two billing cycles (up to two months) for your service discount to appear on your bill. During the first month your service discount is applied, you might receive a pro-rated bill for the days of that month before the discount was applied, and a new bill for the days at the discounted rate"

So the discount is effective immediately. I will be pro-rated later.