Fan damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JBen, Aug 4, 2007.

1. JBen macrumors newbie

Hi, I've got a 2.4 GHz SR MBP and I use bootcamp to play some XP games. Before I boot into windows, I usually run smcfancontrol to bump up the fans to full throttle due to the heat. My question is, is running the fans for a couple hours at 6k rpms deleterious to the fans' health?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It prolly won't do much, but as with everything, if you push it too long too hard, it will deteriorate faster. Just curious, but what temps are you getting?

3. JBen thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know how to check the temps in XP, but I've had it into the high 190 degrees (Fahrenheit) using photoshop + rendering in final cut.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ah, I'd imagine there'd be some sort of little program to check for you in XP (haven't used Windows in a long time), but 190's is a little high. Of course, you're taking full advantage of your resources, so naturally it would get toasty. Ah, the prices we pay for that 1" thin computer.

5. JBen thread starter macrumors newbie

I neglected to mention the 190's is before the fans kick in, once they do, the temp goes down to 175ish.

6. yotaguy macrumors member

Any 12 volt fan i have ever seen is 100% duty cycle and is made to be run at 12 volts and whatever RPM that makes the fan run. Sleeve bearing fans have a typical lifetime of 12-20k hours while ball bearing (which i imagine is in the mbp) should last 50k hours typically.

So my final answer would be...would you rather wear out the fan or melt your cpu core or desk\lap\notebook?

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's actually thinner than 1", you have to subtract the thickness of the LCD. And 175F after the fans come on isn't too bad, I've hit that before when I max out the processors in my MacBook Pro. Also, I've been running the fans on the max setting for a couple weeks (was running it at 4000RPM for months before that) and I haven't seen any ill effects so far, they've been running at 4000RPM or higher for over 8 months now.