fan damaged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forkspoon, Mar 17, 2010.

1. forkspoon macrumors member

I was walking to school today, and my MBP fell out of my schoolbag and landed on a cement sidewalk :/ I thought I had gotten away lucky with this. Besides a few chips and dents, it seemed to be working fine.

But now I'm not so sure. I was browsing the internet for a couple of hours when I noticed the computer started getting super hot. The fans are going full blast, and the keyboard is also hot. The scary thing is, I'm not running anything but safari. I'm afraid that given where the fall happened (the back of the computer) that I have damaged one of the fans, because one side of the computer (the left) is burning hot and the right is just normal. :confused:

What should I do? I dunno how much a new fan costs but I'm guessing not cheap.

eta: I have applecare but I'm sure this won't be covered, since it's my fault.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the fans were damaged, they couldn't be going at full blast. It's possible to have the fans running and the temperature high while running only Safari, depending on how many tabs you have open, flash content, etc. Use Activity Monitor to find out what processes might be using system resources.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Fans are cheap, labor to replace them is not. Take a look at ifixt.com and see if that's something you want to tackle yourself.

4. forkspoon thread starter macrumors member

^ i dunno, i'll probably make a mess of things if i do it myself.

it's still warm, but now the fans have stopped entirely?? they went from nearly exploding to utter silence. not sure if this is normal because it never seemed to be the case before the accident happened.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you're not interested in having at it yourself, take it on into a mac repair shop.