FAN discount doesn't apply to iPhone!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Aug 1, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

Just got off the phone with AT&T rep. I called in to ask why the 15% was not applied to my bill. He first said that it takes a month or two to kick in, but then checked my account and said iPhones DO NOT get the FAN discount. He said that the only way around this is if you are on a family plan, and if you make the line that does not have an iPhone on it to be the main phone, it will work.

Is he speaking the truth? Anyone have an iPhone WITHOUT the family plan and still get the FAN discount? It would be really nice to get 15% off the bill. :eek:

2. kevo0822 macrumors regular

That doesn't sound right to me... Call again.

When I was waiting in line on release day, the guy behind me called AT&T to make sure he was eligible for the $199/299 pricing and was told that he was NOT eligible. The rep said something about him buying his current iPhone back in September having to wait 18 months from then. He told me what the rep said and I told him to call again because I bought my original iPhone in November and was told I was eligible for upgrade pricing. Lo and behold, the second rep he spoke with said he WAS eligible and couldn't figure out what would have led the original rep to tell him otherwise.

So my advice: definitely call again.

3. lkeslinger macrumors member

Not true. I have my FAN applied to my account last Tuesday at an AT&T store. I checked online, and sure enough, my 15% discount was applied!

4. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

I'm have a 15% FAN discount applied as well. Call back or go to a AT&T Corporate store. Them guys on the phone are idiots. He might also have been trying to angle for a sale. (i.e., sell this guy a family talk plan so I get paid)

5. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

OK so I called again, and this time the guy said just wait 1-2 billing cycles for the discount to be applied. He didn't mention anything about my account not being eligible for the 15% discount because I have an iPhone. I asked him if he can give me credit for those months that the discount won't be applied and he said no. :(

Going to call again soon to see if I can get that 15% slapped on NOW w/out having to wait 1-2 billing cycles.

6. ctnguye3 macrumors member

I'm in the same situation :( I just received my bill and realized my FAN discount was not applied to my bill, I called AT&T twice, and both times was told it can take up to 1-2 billing cycles :mad:

7. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Welcome on board brotha. Let's keep calling to see if we can get that discount applied NOW. If not, maybe we might have better luck going to the AT&T store directly.

8. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

You can check to see if your FAN is applied by simply logging into your wireless account (wireless.att.com). If it's applied you'll see a FAN number and what type of business it's being applied for. (I believe it's in the top right hand corner)

9. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I see it. But we're told the discount doesn't kick in until after 1 or 2 billing cycles. We are just being PITA to get that discount applied NOW. :D

10. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Anybody have any luck getting a FAN discount on data or text?

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

That is a company to company thing (or school to school as it may be). For instance, I get a 25% discount on everything, but my mom only gets a 15% discount on voice. It just depends.

12. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

yes and yes. my 15% applies to everything on my account except roadside assistance. i can post a screenshot if you'd like. (note that I've already posted proof in other threads)

as the dude above me said it depends on what was negotiated between att and your company. mine is pretty decent i think.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

I've always been TOLD it doesn't work, but every time I've signed up for it, it has after a cycle or two.

14. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know of anyone who got it on there right off the bat by calling AT&T or talking to someone at the AT&T store?

15. TonyMil macrumors member

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a FAN discount?

16. apockalipse macrumors member

Some companies and schools that do a lot of business with a cell phone company work out corporate discounts that their employees can take advantage of by giving a code to the phone company. You usually get a discount on hardware, service, and accessories, but they all vary a little.

17. jephersun macrumors member

my friend who works at at&t told me that it takes about 2 months for the system to apply the FAN on your iphone line. However, I am on a family plan so I simply switched my primary number so that it can be applied. 25% woohoo...

18. TonyMil macrumors member

I checked with my company and guess what......I qualify!
    Glad I asked what it was.