FAN Discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marti23, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Marti23 macrumors member

I plan on pre-ordering the iphone 4 on apple.com and me and my brother will be under a family plan. After we get the phones can I go into the AT&T store and apply the FAN discount then without him? He left for europe today. The account will be under his name and credit card but I have the FAN discount through my school. Will that work or does he need to be present?

2. emaja macrumors 68000

If the primary account holder is eligible for the FAN. If you have the discount, and the account is in your brother's name, it cannot be applied to your brother's account.

3. Marti23 thread starter macrumors member

wow I didn't know about this. Thanks for answering before i ordered. So if I am eligible for the discount, it has to be both my name and credit card?

4. emaja macrumors 68000

The account has to be in your name, but I am not sure about the credit card. If you are going into the store to do this, they are supposed to check to see if the names and signatures match, They don't always check, but I wouldn't count on them not checking.

5. rk164 macrumors newbie

What if the FAN discount is applied online (instead of in-store) after purchasing the phone? From what I can see all that is needed is the email address to active the FAN discount? Will this work?

6. emaja macrumors 68000

You can add the FAN anytime - either during or after the purchase. It doesn't matter.

7. rk164 macrumors newbie

So what if the OP purchases the phones as originally planned under the brother's name and then applies the FAN discount online, as it seems the discount can be applied online with a valid email address?

8. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

If you already have a FAN discount, will you be in danger of having it drop off if you upgrade and pick up the phone from Apple Store?

9. emaja macrumors 68000

The primary name on the account has to be eligible for the FAN in order for the discount to be received. If OP goes in as an authorized user and adds lines to his brother's account, his brother is still not eligible for the FAN so no discount will be applied. I had to provide proof of employment to receive my FAN, so unless OP's brother can provide that - no FAN.

The FAN is applied to the account, not to the phone, so you will not lose it unless someone really screws up. If you want to be sure that there is no screwup, just be sure to tell the rep before they start making changes to your account that you have a FAN and do not want to lose it or any other features - like unlimited data for $30. FAN will not just "drop off." It would have to be removed.