FAN discounts apply to data or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justanothernerd, Jul 2, 2008.

1. justanothernerd macrumors member

I went to the AT&T store and one person said flat out "No", another said "Yes" and I read here that it depends on the deal my employer (UNC-CH) has with AT&T. W

Which is true? If it comes down to the employer, is there a way I can check online what my benefits are? Thanks

2. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

On my AT&T account, when I go to the page for each individual phone...... my 1 st phone which is not an iPhone says 25% discount on the plan, and something about the accessories.
    On the iPhone page, it shows NO discounts. At least for the 1st gen. It does say under the Upgrade info for the iPhone that it is eligible at a discounted price but I believe that discount is just on the 3G iPhone and it will NOT be on the Data plan as it hasn't in the past. At least with my Employer.

3. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

Do to your ATT Premier site and pretend like you're buying a Blackjack or other PDA phone. See if there's any discounts on data.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

My FAN service sheet says 20% off monthly service, nothing about only voice or only data. I can only assume that this covers everything.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Basically it depends on your company's agreement with AT&T. Some will have a discount on service and phones. Other only service. Others still only the voice part of service.

Really you should get a hold of your companies rep and ask them.

6. 7livesmanyfaces macrumors newbie

FAN discount

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting and I felt I needed to say something about the FAN discount situation.

I tried to get my discount enabled months ago and each month some rep would say that it will take affect the following month. Well about two weeks ago I spoke to customer service manager because I was tired of the runaround. I was speaking to a woman at a call center in one of the Dakotas. She informed me that evidently there was an agreement between AT&T and Apple that stated that people with iPhone plans were not eligible for the FAN discount. The only way around that would be if you had a multiline account with another device for another line. I asked her to provide the policy and our conversation in writing so she sent me this email:

"Thank you for choosing AT&T for your business wireless needs!

This e-mail is a follow-up to our previous conversation on 6/20/2008 to ensure your needs were serviced correctly.

On 6/20/2008, Roxanne L. processed the following changes to your account:

1. Other
    2. Mr. xxxxx just a reminder to let you know the policyfan numbers for I-phone. Unfortunately we do not offer it on individual accounts at this time. They are only offered for business accounts. For the misinformation I did give you a courtisy credit for $25.00 however this is going to be the last credit for this issue. However if you were to add an additional line to your account and it is not an I-phone you could make it the primary number and recieve your discount. We do appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Please ! allow 1-2 bill cycles for this transaction to reflect on your next bill and account summary. If you have further questions about your AT&T business needs, please refer to http://www.att.com/business or by calling us at (800) 331-0500.

Sincerely,

Roxanne L.
    Business Markets Group (BMG) Customer Services
    (800) 331-0500"

7. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

called the business customer service she said:

1) First gen iphones are NOT covered by any FAN discounts
    2) Second gen iphones (3g) ARE covered. If your FAN is already set up, it'll automatically work when you get the new iphone
    3) Discount INCLUDES Data

I know CS varies, but i believe it

8. Maxington macrumors 6502

This is good to know.

I wonder if I bring the FAN number in when I sign up as a new customer if I will be able to get the discount from day 1?

9. iP2 macrumors member

I'd like to believe it! But I called Business Customer Service this morning and not all FANs cover the data portion. Mine does for voice AND data but only for the primary line (of a family plan). However, the new 3G iPhone is not being listed as a PDA type of phone (according to the Rep). My FAN has a specific provision for PDAs too. So at the moment, my FAN does not work for the 3G iPhone's data plan and would have to be a secondary line for my FAN to apply to the primary non-iPhone line.

This is all confusing to me. You can even go to ATT's website under the $30 data plan and the iPhone is not listed as a compatible phone. This is probably why the Rep said its not qualified for FAN discounts (probably old info based on the first gen iPhone).

10. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Why cant Apple just give us the info?

So I emailed an ATT rep and this is what I got:

Hi Zina

Its Abraham from att. Abput the iphone 3G there will not be a discount if theres is only one line on the account. What that means is that if you have two lines one of them not being an iphone that need to be the primary line so that you can get a discount from your work. About the activation fee that can not be waived, we have no authorization.

Hope that I have answered all your concerns and we will see you on July 11.

Att Mobility

Abraham Godinez

Retails Sales Consultant