FAN. Don't wanna mess w/it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMetalG5, Jun 11, 2010.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

So I have a FAN of 28% from a previous employer (laid off). Of course I do not want to lose it. I called ATT about pre-order and the girl would not leave me alone saying she will send me a txt, email, and a reminder phone call to come see her on Tues. to pre-order. Well I don't want to because after getting conflicting info I'd rather just pre-order through Apple.

ATT told me:

yes pre-order and you will get it on launch day.

yes pre-order you will get it on 6/25

yes pre-order and you should get it the week of 6/28

you can have it shipped to the store but it will take 3-5 days after launch

we will only be getting maybe 30 units so you should pre-order

As you can see they are all over the place. I was concerned about my FAN and no one at ATT could tell me if its going to mess up my plan when I activate the new iPhone4. If for some reason it does kick out the FAN how do I put it back on?

If I get it from Apple when I activate through iTunes will it mess up my account? I want the FAN and keep the unlimited data.

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

I contacted AT&T about the same thing (i have a 28% discount from a company i did an internship with). The guy said that as long as I stay on the same account with AT&T my fan discount will not be lost. I didn't tell him I no longer work for that company, however I did ask If i needed to bring in more proof (paycheck) when I renew my contract and he said no. I asked if I did my upgrade through iTunes will it mess it up and he said flat out, no. Hope this rambling helps

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We have FAN and bought our 3GS through the Apple store. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

The FAN discounts are tied to your account with AT&T. As long as you keep the same account the FAN discount should stick, regardless of where you do your upgrade.

5. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

very good, thanks guys. my new company only offers 18% FAN so... i'd rather keep it w/the prior FAN. Hey getting laid off wasn't bad. Double Dip salary and get to hold on to my 28% FAN :)

6. asdff macrumors member

i have never used att or activated an iphone so forgive me;

currently i am not an ATT customer and have a FAN# i can use through work, is there somewhere we enter the FAN# in during the activation process in iTunes or when purchasing on apple.com? Or will I have to call into customer service to have them add it to my plan? I would like for the fan pricing to take affect as of the 1st billing cycle... thanks!

7. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

They will have a lot more than 30 per store. Apple and AT&T stores will get the bulk of inventory.

Best Buy/Radio Shack/Walmart will get what's left.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

You're committing fraud by not informing AT&T of your terminated employment, you deserve to die!!

Just kidding and poking fun at some of the righteous people on this forum who get worked up about stuff like this lol :D stick it to them! :cool:

9. synnerg macrumors newbie

synnerg

comon now

I have been with ATT for 10 years, since cingular and I cannot count the times I have changed plans and upgraded phones with my family.

FAN Accounts are not affected by this upgrade. You have to understand the difference between a hardware upgrade (PHONE) and a plan change. All you are doing is promising($375 backstaber fee) ATT you will be loyal for two more years and they hand you a shinny new toy (reasonably priced?).

***IF you are making a change from your previous plan (500mins/20txt/night/etc), then you would need to speak to theCustomer support department support for FAN members.

In any case, you will find out soon if the :eek: hits the fan

On another note: You can always re-add FAN with your valid email address from your participating employers/schools