Fan dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydroxs, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Hydroxs macrumors regular

I have a 4.1 MBP and it seems like my left fan is dying. When doing some cpu intensive work, the fans would kick up and sometime there is a buzzing sort of sound on the left side. istat would sometime show the right fan at ~4000 rpm while the left fan around ~2500 rpm. I am thinking that this is a fan problem and can be fixed by replacing the broken fan or is there something else going on?

2. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

While the fans can run independant speeds, the buzzing you refer to is quite a concern and I would head over to http://www.appleparts.com/ for a new fan (maybe even both, just to be sure).

3. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Fans should work together, it helps the air flow. I would have the fans looked at sooner then later.

4. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

They work independantly of each other because whenever I do anything graphically intensive the left fan is the one is always the one running faster than the right according my ears, iStat, and smcFanControl (the latter is which I prefer)...

Hope I could help...

5. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Sorry, my bad, I was always under the impression that the fans worked together, though being independent of one another, to help air flow through the machine, and not to overtax any one fan.

I stand corrected.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Before my right fan died, it made this buzzing sound. If you're still under Applecare, bring it in. Otherwise, replace it yourself or swallow the costs of repair. It's about $110+tax.

7. Hydroxs thread starter macrumors regular

I just bought a new left fan for about $50 at ifixit and it seems to have fixed the problem.