Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I have a 2011 macbook air, my fans almost never turned on. After ML install i seem to notice my fans more even during just simple web browsing. This in itself may make me reinstall SL.

hpspec

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
2 Cents

I have a 2011 macbook air, my fans almost never turned on. After ML install i seem to notice my fans more even during just simple web browsing. This in itself may make me reinstall SL.

I had smcFanControl installed in 10.7.2/3 beta (before it 'shipped') to make the fans stay running at a higher minimum RPM. I am fairly certain I restored the fan settings to default before upgrading, not a clean install, to DP1 and subsequently DP2. Minimum fan speed seems to be hovering around 2100 RPM at a low temp of ~50 degrees Celsius with minimal CPU activity. However, it seems whether I am running the integrated graphics or the dedicated the temps spike exponentially open running almost anything (CPU intensive or not).

Yes, this is a quad-core processor...but wow does it get loud over hardly anything. It's anti-Jobsian - like the 'new iPad': thicker, heavier, double the battery size for the same life for what? A hi-res display? Jobs would never have done this.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I had smcFanControl installed in 10.7.2/3 beta (before it 'shipped') to make the fans stay running at a higher minimum RPM. I am fairly certain I restored the fan settings to default before upgrading, not a clean install, to DP1 and subsequently DP2. Minimum fan speed seems to be hovering around 2100 RPM at a low temp of ~50 degrees Celsius with minimal CPU activity. However, it seems whether I am running the integrated graphics or the dedicated the temps spike exponentially open running almost anything (CPU intensive or not).

Yes, this is a quad-core processor...but wow does it get loud over hardly anything. It's anti-Jobsian - like the 'new iPad': thicker, heavier, double the battery size for the same life for what? A hi-res display? Jobs would never have done this.

he had done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.