Fan & heat of the pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lumenz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. lumenz macrumors newbie

gonna buy either the pro or air but i need to know this first

Which has a better fan and less heat
    macbook pro (late 2013) or the macbook air (late 2013)?

(i get the feeling that the bigger pro has better airflow because its just bigger?
    but because of the retina display it maybe gets hotter than the air?)

2. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

My iPhone gets hotter than my retina MBP, even when the rMBP is under full load it gets mildly warm.

Nothing like my old Core 2 Duo MBP, that thing would burn your legs.

3. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

the display is not a factor in the heat in any way (technically the psu could get hotter but it's negligible)

it's all about your cpu and gpu heat, and the two fans run at the minimum almost all the time for me unless i try play a game, so it's super quiet but still cold

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That's music to my ears. My 17 inch 2007 MBP got so brutally hot that I had to put a pillow under it before I could comfortably hold it in my lap. In stark contrast, my 2010 MBA has always been as cool as a cucumber.

I have been trying to decide whether to replace the MBA with the new 13 inch
    retina MBP or wait and see what the MBA looks like when Apple refreshes it next spring (maybe). I am just about convinced that the rMBP would be my best bet.

5. rockem macrumors newbie

What version of rMBP do you have?

6. strunz macrumors newbie

That's just not true :D

7. lumenz thread starter macrumors newbie

so now i still dont know which one produces the least amount of heat ?
    13 inch pro or 13 inch air?

8. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

My 13" 2012 MBA never really gets notably hot, unless I'm really taxing the CPU by converting media files or something.

9. katorga macrumors regular

Ditto. My 2007 would burn your legs, and my iPhone 4 gets hotter than my new MBP.

Zero fan noise as well. I have to closet myself in a room with no central air/heat on to hear the fan when compiling.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You won't notice unless you're doing something heavy. But the Pro has visible air vents. It's a non-issue, just buy the machine you want.

11. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Your decision to chose one of the Macbooks should not come down to heat, because both of them stay pretty cool. The Air has the lower TDP chip while the Pro has a bigger fan and the better overall cooling system. (at least the retina version!)

Personally I'd go for a rMBP. Awesome screen, good performance and manages to keep it as cool as the weaker Air does

12. lumenz thread starter macrumors newbie

i bought the 13 inch mbp retina late 2013, i returned it because i could feel warmth/light heat over the keyboard. under heavy load the heat was more of course. overall i really like the macbook pro 13 but the heat irritates me.

now i wanna buy the mba haswell 11 inch, but does it have the same kind of light heat as the rmbp or is it a little bit cooler?

And i could feel the virbration of the speaker sound under my palms (palmwrist on the macbook) , is this normal?

13. Nik macrumors 6502a

The 15" rMBP Late 2013 gets loud when using the CPU at 40% for a minute.