Fan & hot temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheStew, Aug 5, 2011.

1. TheStew macrumors member

Hi guys, just played some Sims 3 on my 2011 2,0 pro. Like with some other games the laptop gets really hot, right above the function keys.
    Is it recommended to download a fan control program so I can let these fans run faster while playing games? (I notice the fans go on max after it is already really hot). Wouldn't it be better to run at a constant temperature with constant fan speed instead of going up and down in temperature and fan speed?

Like everyone I want to spare my mac and I dont want the heat to influence my laptop performance over the years. How far can my laptop go before toasting itself? Cause its sometimes too hot to touch

Whats your favourite program? I read some good things about Fan Control

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Your computer does NOT have any problems.

Your computer is getting hot because it's using the GPU. gfxCardStatus will let you manually choose which graphics to use, but since you're playing a game using the dedicated GPU is extremely recommended. So, the heat can't be helped.
    smcFanControl will let you monitor the fan speeds. But most probably your laptop has not even reached 80 degrees Celsius so you shouldn't worry about fans.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i don't think u need to worry.

the computer will get hot if ur running cpu/gpu intensive apps

games are one of them.

if ur thatttt paranoid u can do a TP replace on ur mbp.

there's a very good post on how to do this :)

4. TheStew thread starter macrumors member

I know it wont explode or toast lol :). But this must shorten the lifetime, no?

5. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

It also depends where you put the laptop. It won't heat up as easily if its on a desk compared to a pillow or blanket.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

No, as long as you don't insulate your laptop.