Fan & internal cleaning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james1758, Jun 6, 2014.

1. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

Hi all,

My mid2009 uMBP has been running extremely hot and loud recently. The other day I switched to safari and completely uninstalled flash from my HD and its surprised me how much of a difference it made!

However, its still running slightly hot and louder than normal. I presumed it was dust in the fan.. I hadn't opened up my uMBP since I upgraded RAM in 2010, and it looks pretty dirty and dusty... and thats without seeing whats behind the fan!

So is there anyway to clean the dust off the components/ battery with household items? In 2010 I just used compressed air to clean, but this time I want to take the fans out, take them apart, and thoroughly clean them.

I can use a toothbrush to clean the blades and underneath the fan, its just how do I get all the gunk out of the heatsink and remove the dust and dirt from the top of the components? A cloth? Brush? Use the toothbrush on all of that as well?

Any help appreciated!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Wow, that's pretty dirty. Is that corrosion I see?

3. james1758 thread starter macrumors regular

james1758

I bloody hope not haha! Where abouts? And the underside of one of the feet has melted and stuck to the battery when I pulled the casing off... thats how hot it got :eek: