FAN # isssues at Apple Store again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unverrich, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Unverrich macrumors regular

Unverrich

Will I have a problem with my FAN # being on my account at the Apple store like I did last year? Or did they fix that issue?

2. ian-frs macrumors 6502

My ATT rep said that I would not have an issue like the one last year. So I assume it's fixed but we will find out on launch day!

3. Unverrich thread starter macrumors regular

Unverrich

I just called Apple store, and he said there will be issues again. So I guess I have to remove it before hand... what a pain..

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Not sure if it will be an indication for the in-store experience, but my online order went through without a hitch and have a FAN account.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good luck trusting Apple to do AT&T's job. AT&T has a hard enough time as it is. My conversation at AT&T went something like:

1. Phone number to upgrade
    2. Photo ID
    3. Credit card
    4. Have a good day

Single line no FAN no Premier, maybe. But no way with a family line and Corporate discounts. But really, good luck! :)

6. ryan88 macrumors newbie

why don't you just do it online? i was able to upgrade both mine and my wife's phone on the premier site no problem.

7. Bullchan macrumors newbie

I remember few days after the iPhone 3G launch, apple.com posted a note saying something like a user with corporate discounts should go to the AT&T store. This year I don't see anything on their site.

It'll be silly if Apple makes the same mistake again.

For those of you with a FAN discount that went to the apple store last year, what happened? Did you have to call AT&T from the Apple Store to remove the FAN and then put it back after the purchase?

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is long as the AT&T account is in your name (IRU), then having a FAN discount shouldn't be a problem when purchasing from Apple this year.

Apple and AT&T fixed that issue several months ago.

9. xleedaniel macrumors member

sorry but i dont get why its such a problem. im sorry but im a new customer or i will be. but im picking up the 3gs at an apple store and setting it up there. so does that mean i cant apply my fan discount anymore? cant i just call at&t after and ask them to help me add my fan # in?

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

The problem was when the iPhone 3G was launched last year, if you were an existing customer with a FAN discount on your account, ... if you tried to purchase at an Apple Store, the purchase would fail (when Apple's systems wo go talk to AT&T's). So you could either leave Apple and go to an AT&T store (hoping they had any iPhones, which most didn't), or you could call AT&T and have the FAN discount removed. Then the purchase would go through. You then had to go back by an AT&T store to get the FAN put back on.

If you buy your iPhone 3GS at Apple, you're right that you'll have to talk to AT&T to get your FAN put back on.

About the only time Apple can't sell you an iPhone now is when the account isn't in your name.

11. xleedaniel macrumors member

ahhh understood ^^ thank you! ill keep that in mind going in this friday

12. Bullchan macrumors newbie

aristobrat,

Good news, but what's your source? What you just said contradicts to what Unverrich posted. (few posts up)

13. Bullchan macrumors newbie

I'll probably call multiple stores on the 18th to check just in case.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Having worked there.

You can take all of the guess work out of what will happen at Apple if you "pre-authorize" yourself before you walk into the store.

Go to the Apple online store, start the process of buying an iPhone (where you select your rate plan, etc), pick the option to pick it up at your local Apple store. When you walk into Apple, you won't have to worry about any AT&T issues. If there were any, it would have been flagged when you did all of your stuff online.

If you walked into the store I worked at to buy an iPhone and hadn't done the online pre-authorization, we'd walk you over to one of the Macs and have you do it then. It's faster than employees doing it on the EasyPays, and if there's an issue (credit, or you want to port your # from another company but you don't know your account number), it's way easier to deal when doing it in a web browser.

15. Bullchan macrumors newbie

Was not an issue at all. Went very smoothly.

Thanks

16. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My FAN waived activation fees when I signed up, will it also waive upgrade fees too??

17. slam05 macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm that I can purchase a 3G S at an Apple Store for a new account with FAN/Premier? All of the AT&T stores around here are sold out, but the Apple Store has plenty.

18. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I have a FAN account and I bought and got my 3GS activated at an Apple store on Sunday without any problems.

19. slam05 macrumors newbie

20. thereitis macrumors newbie

Can anyone give any feedback on this yet?

I have a FAN that waives activation and and plan to buy my very first iphone tomorrow! Thanks! :)

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AT&T store was smooth as glass.
    Upgraded two lines on a family plan WITH a FAN discount.
    Activation took the longest... 10 minutes total.

22. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Got mine at AT&T, no issues.

GF got hers at Apple, no issues.

Both of us have FAN#s.

23. elee888 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I went to buy an iPhone 3GS at the Apple Store last Friday. The guy at Apple said I need to call Business Care to remove my FAN account because they were having activation issues again (like last year). So I called ATT and they removed my FAN account. However I also noticed that the ATT lady added something called "APL FAN DISC OVRRIDE" under my feature set. Now, when I try to go online to add my FAN back on, I receive an email telling me that I'm good to go, BUT when I log into my account on ATT's website, it's not showing the FAN account at the top where it usually sits (usually shows up right away after adding it). I thought it was the feature code that is preventing it from being added to my account. So I called Business Care again and the lady in Business Care said she can't remove it. Anyone else had this problem? Please help. Does it actually take 1-2 billing cycles before it shows?

24. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

The disc ovrride is what you want on your account. Yes, it will take 1-2 billing cycles.