Fan issue on brand new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azulchica, Nov 6, 2007.

1. azulchica macrumors newbie

Ok so I just got my brand new Macbook literally less than an hour ago. Anyway upon using it for the first few minutes the fans seemed to come on, really loud, almost sounding like a jet engine. Its much quieter now, but the fans are still running, something I definitely didn't expect for only having Firefox and iTunes open. Any potential causes?

Also typing is really loud with the keys, it bummed me out a bit.

2. cazlar macrumors 6502

Spotlight indexing on first run. It'll go away soon.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You think that's bad you should hear the fans going off on this Dell Insp 1501 I'm using right now... talk about jet engine more like space shuttle taking off. And in a few mins it goes away. Just letting you know it's not Apple specific. Dells do it too. The laptop is just protecting itself when it needs it and it goes away when it's done.

But yah, they'll quite down and run normal. Indexing got the system overworked a bit. I would say be thankful they kicked on cuz if they didn't you might be even more upset.

4. mixmasteralan macrumors newbie

I just got my macbook and turned it on.. 20 minutes in... my fan starts to GO WILD!@#@# wtf

i hope this really is spotlight doing some indexing...

5. goodcookiedrift macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problems as well although my fan never shuts off. As long as the computer is on, the fan is on. I know this isn't normal but i have no idea what to do or what is wrong.

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Mine did it for the first 20 minutes, make sure you update and check to see what is running, it is dead silent now and is super cool :)

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

the fans run at 1799RPMs normal but they are silent.........

8. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

You know its funny. Everyone is raving about the macbook SR but I just ended up returning mine. Why? FANS!

My fans came on blasting whenever I did anything. iChat, video, eyeTV. They would jump up to 6850rpms and stay there. Spotlight indexing, anything the computer would have to do would ramp up the fans. Pretty sad really. Its like it has a desktop G5 processor inside it. I thought the C2duo was supposed to run cool. Guess not. That and the screen was giving me a headach. It only has one viewing angle and that is directly from the front. Any other angle and the screen is unreadable.

I took it back to apple and just for kicks looked at the older macbooks on display to see what the fans were running at on them. 6200rpm. Go figure. Just not enough cooling I guess. Anything over 2800rpm and you hear it LOUD. I don't need a computer that is going to howl the whole time. My imac doesn't do that, mac mini doesn't do it either. Wonder if the macbook pros have this problem?

9. iViking macrumors 6502

No, and that's another MBP benefit I often forget. Good point.

10. brettanderson macrumors member

I've also found that the fans kick in more often on the MB. They are also louder. The MBP is much better in this regard.

11. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

So far the only time I have heard the fans in my new MacBook is when I am encoding audio in iTunes or video in iMovie. Spotlight doesn't do it. iChat video doesn't do it.

As for the LCD being unreadable, that is a pretty extreme statement. I can go off to the side to an almost 180 degree angle and it is still clearly readable, although a little darker. I do admit that the vertical viewing angle is fairly small, probably around 30 degrees or so.

12. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

13. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I've been using my new Macbook for a week now, I haven't had any fan issues. They came on when Leopard was reinstalling, but after that I haven't had a full blast scenario come up.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

On another note, I've yet to switch off my MacBook (if you don't count the reinstall required restarts) ;)
    For the first 30 minutes-ish its pretty loud while its indexing and all the other bits but after that its smooth as (fans currently 1798 RPM).
    Also when you plug in a TM disk it takes foreverrr to index.
    But oh well, all's good in the hood.

15. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I dont even use spotlight so I shut it down and I barely hear my fans, only time I hear my fans on my macbook is when watching HD podcasts.

Zack

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Mine is dead quiet, not a sound runs soooo cool, sounds like he got a bad one.

17. future macnerd macrumors member

mine's also almost always dead quiet. also I use the widget Istat to keep track of the fans and how hot everything is. (just in case you wanted to see if yours was getting unnormally hot or something was just wrong with the fans :D)

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

mine is not dead quiet in idle (1800 rpm) there is sound there but i figure it is cos i am looking for something. They do ramp up pretty loud if for example I am playing football manager and the computer has to do something taxing.

Quicksilver stopped responding and it took 100% CPU and that made the fans shoot up.

I have applecare and i usually listen to music at the same time so it really doesn't bother me. And when i'm sitting next to a windows laptop at uni it certainly isn't mine i can hear.

19. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

You might want to get it checked out, I always worry about noise as i hear everything and it bothers me....this is dead quiet....

20. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my core 2 duo macbook would turn on its fans when i played back video. video of any kind, actually. even youtube. one of the things i don't miss since moving to the macbook pro.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm surprised you bought another Mac to begin with.

I've only noticed my fans kick in during games, Time Machine, and Spotlight indexing.

22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is sort of a fan whine and it is constant. Might give them a call tomorrow. Also is anyones superdrive really really noisy when taking in disks/ejecting/starting disk utility

23. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think that's common to all apple laptops (intel), except starting disk utility. my superdrive never makes a sound when disk utility is launched. :confused:

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It seems to be a Leopard thing. I've never noticed this on Tiger laptops.

25. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is so loud that i don't want to take a disk out late at night for fear of waking up others in another room. It is embarrassingly loud.