Fan issues on late 2013 retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GigabitEthernet, Aug 7, 2016.

1. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

I've had fan issues with my late 2013 Retina for a few months now.

When using a virtual machine my fans ramp up to over 5000RPM, even Windows XP sitting on the desktop doing nothing but idling The same thing happens when using Chrome, particularly when watching video.

I've done an SMC reset and done a full, fresh reinstall of OS X and the issue still occurs.

What's going on?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Open your Activity monitor and see which process or processes are using your CPU. I imagine the VM and chrome are just using a lot of CPU cycles.

3. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes VMWare is using 300% CPU and Chrome is using 100%.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Then you don't have any fan issues. On the 15" I assume you have, that usage corresponds to 50 % utilisation of the CPU. It simply needs to cool down, so it revs up the fans.

Though it's never a bad idea to clean out some dust.

5. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

But 50% CPU utilisation when the VM isn't doing anything?

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Apparently. But that's a separate issue with the VM software, if it is an issue. The machine seems to be doing just what it's supposed to by cooling itself down.

7. GigabitEthernet thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the CPU utilisation when watching HTML5 video in Chrome (Amazon Video). Is that normal?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The VM is allowing a virtualisation it is "doing something". How much of your resources have you got assigned to your virtual machine?? I am assuming half your cores and half your ram, if you have assigned a small amount of you resources to your VM it will eat them up fast. If you want full resources assigned to both your OSes you'll want to install under boot camp and reboot into each individually for best performance.

Chrome is very poorly coded for OSX to avoid issues with browsing using all your system resources then use safari or alternatives.

9. robvas macrumors 68020

Open up your VM and see what processes are eating up the CPU from inside