Fan Issues + Squeaky hinges

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 14mus, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 14mus macrumors newbie

hey everyone..
    I love my macbook to death except for two annoying problems that i would appreciate help with.

First off, the fan gets really loud at times, especially when im running websites that use alot of flash. its liveable with but crazy annoying. i dont know how long i've had this problem unfortunately. the noise comes from the center / right side of keyboard.

Secondly, The hinge squeaks like mad. i bought this model right off the floor from best buy.. so that may be the reason for that. and suggestions would be helpful, it seems almost.. loose i guess is the word to describe it.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

My fan revs up when playing games for a longer period of time, and also sometimes when it's been left alone for a while and the screensaver's been on for long (for no apparent reason). I believe it's normal, though.

As for the squeaky hinges.... you're the second person I've seen on here complaining about that. There doesn't seem to be much one can do about that, unless you disassemble it and oil it. Maybe the plastic's too tight over the hinges, I don't know. It may go away in time when the hinges loosen up.

3. 14mus thread starter macrumors newbie

my fan goes nuts when i play games for like under 5 minutes, and when running some programs like photoshop and garageband

its really annoying at night.. any tips to shut it up ?

4. Rmpl macrumors member

Does your fan just get louder or is it making some kind of grinding noise? I had that problem, the fan was skimming against something and I took it to the Apple store thinking I was going to be without a computer for a week. The guy opened it up right there and replaced the fan. $20. But it still revs up when I play a game or do something intense in Photoshop. That's a good thing. You don't want your machine catching on fire.

And my hinge is squeaky too. It's almost 2 years old though, so I guess I can't complain. I'm not exactly gentle with this thing. If anyone knows how to fix the squeaky hinge problem I would love to hear it. WD40 for plastic?

5. 14mus thread starter macrumors newbie

well if i guess the alternative option is fire.. i'll stick with the loud fan :p no its not scraping, just revving like you said