Fan issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JCinc, Apr 16, 2008.

1. JCinc macrumors newbie

I just got my new macbook pro about 2/3 weeks ago and everything seemed to be fine. It ran pretty quiet until just recently. I turned it on and all of a sudden I started to hear the fans speed up. I pulled up istat and noticed the fans were running around 3500 rpm and rose to 5500. Until this happened they would only run on average around 2100 rpm and would be dead silent. When this happened I had no programs running. But now with just safari up, the fans would run around 4100 to max speed and be extremely LOUD!

Has anyone else had this problem or know a fix? By the way this is my 2nd macbook pro within the past month being i had to return my first one due to a
    track pad problem. So i doubt apple will give me a new one again. thanks

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Are you using any Flash websites? These can heat things up pretty quickly.

Also, you might want to check out what processes are in use with iStat Pro or Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities. If something is using an unusually high percentage of CPU then it would explain the fan usage.

But if your MBP does turn out to be faulty, then Apple will fix or replace it for you. Even multiple times, if necessary! :)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when the fans rev up open Activity Monitor and sort the processes by CPU and quote the process thats using most of the CPU load or is red and says "not responding".