Fan kicked into reverse after installing update.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sers, Mar 21, 2008.

1. sers macrumors regular

Just installed the latest security and Safari 3.1 update on my G5 and the weirdest thing happened. After it rebooted, the fan kicked into what it seemed like reverse and blew all the internal dust out through the back and the space between the display and casing. I can tell it was running at a higher rpm than normal. But after a while, it went back to normal.

Was it supposed to do this?? Was one of the fixes an internal cleaning?? I'm perplexed as it's never done this before. Everything seems to work fine........anyone else experience this??

Weird..........

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

After the update, I noticed my fans running at about 6200RPM, but the CPU was only ht 59c-62c. Have you tried restarting? Cause mines are running normal now, but I dont think they were suppose to run into reverse.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iMac or PowerMac G5? If the latter, the fans are always suppossed to be pushing the air out the back.

TEG

4. sers thread starter macrumors regular

iMac G5. Perhaps the fan didn't kick into reverse, but it did spin at a much higher rpm than normal and I did notice a lot of dust being blown out of the back and front. It runs normal now, but just thought it was weird as I have never experienced this before.