Fan making horrible noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by voodoomailman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. voodoomailman macrumors newbie

Hi.... I have a first generation macbook pro and lately the fan has been making some horrible noises. I opened it up and blew some of the dust off... that did not fix the problem. My fans are running at about 3700 rpms and my cpu temp is around 60 C. Is this problem definitely one of the fans? Or could it be something else? What should I do? My computer sounds like it wants to explode. I've attached a sound file of it. Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They had a lot of issues with the fans on the first gen MacBook Pros and I had mine replaced after one of them seized up. It sounds like yours is on the way out too.

3. voodoomailman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. Do you think there's any way I could handle this myself? Or is it something that should definitely be handled by a professional? Also... I was wondering if it's damaging to my computer? If the fans are running at 4000 rpms but my cpu temp is 60 C... is that going to hurt my computer in some way?

Thanks again!

4. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

You mean that the noise caused by the fans it's because they are running at a high speed or they actually make a noise different from that they were making before?

Try resetting the PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had mine replaced under Apple Care though you could replace them yourself if you are comfortable stripping a notebook computer.

Mine usually runs in the low 50ºs C with the fans around 1600rpm. If it gets up to 60ºC the fans can ramp up to 3000rpm but I haven't seen them higher.