Fan noise acknowledged by Apple Sales

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twynne, Oct 29, 2008.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

Having finally received my shiny new MBP (15.4" 2.8ghz CTO) yesterday I was rather disappointed when I noticed 2 issues:

1 - The screen is really yellow (even after all attempts to calibrate) as compared to the 2.53ghz model I had previously.

2 - The machine randomly makes *really* annoying fan/vibration noises. This is regardless of processor utilisation or fan speed - it seems to depend on how you hold it! :rolleyes:

I contact Apple Sales by phone this afternoon, and although they had nothing to say about the yellow display, they acknowledged they've had complaints about the fan noise.

Here's the important bit:

There are 3 options...

1. Applecare via a retail store (which means giving them your machine and waiting for them to get parts and repair it)
    2. You return it and wait for a replacement (approx 2 weeks at present)
    3. They ship you a replacement and THEN you return the faulty one

You need to ask for the third option as they probably won't offer it. They'll ask you to sign a waiver promising to return the faulty machine within 5 days of receiving the replacement. The form requires your credit card details and authorises them to charge you if not returned. The replacement is ordered once they have the waiver back.

Just thought this might be of use to those of you having problems with your lovely new machine. :D

Good luck!

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

3. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

I had a fingerprint behind my screen and they weren't very willing to do the advanced replacement.

I guess I am shipping it to them first. Mine was a BTO 2.8ghz with a 320gb @ 7200 rpm. Build time is 3-5 days not really 2 weeks. With 2-3 day shipping and if I sent in my old MBP right now I could have my new one Nov 4 - Nov 10.

Im going to wait until the order status says prepared for shipment before I mail in my old one. That way I only have 2-3 days downtime.

4. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the previous 'yellow' issues might have been related to uneven yellowness in the display. This display is perfectly even, but practically sepia compared to the 2.53ghz model I had. I strongly preferred the 2.53... in fact I'd go so far as to say it was the best laptop display I've ever seen/owned.

5. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying build time is 2 weeks, but the total time from order to it being in your hands is about 2 weeks.

I suppose getting the advance replacement may depend somewhat on how supportive your sales rep is, but at least you know the option exists if you want to push for it. ;)

6. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

Ah sorry just making sure everything was correct so people aren't dreading waiting at least 2 weeks.

Yeah I would have liked advanced replacement and probably would have pushed for it if I didnt have a nice pc desktop. I should have but I didn't feel like hassling the guy too much because he was being very helpful.

However if this one is bunk I will be demanding advanced replacement. I haven't heard too many people asking for a replacement a second time so heres to hoping. Apple this is your last chance!

7. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny you mention that, I asked the rep about the likelihood of these issues being addressed in the replacement and he essentially said there's no guarantee. That suggests to me that Apple are still taking the position that these issues are 'random' or were specific to a certain production run rather than present in the entire line.

Here's hoping our replacements are as we expect. :D

8. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

Yeah hopefully these quality control issues are being filtered down to the assembly plant. When I worked for Cummins (Diesel Engines) if we had a Quality Control issue we heard about mere days after the fault was found.

Best of luck.

9. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

No guarantee? I agree, that means they are still playing a numbers game. Not saying anything, letting the people who complain get a replacement. I'll bet they have a certain threshold. When enough people complain, then they decide it is worth it to make the change.

10. donbenjy macrumors 6502

eurgh, so to get it repaired I have to be without my laptop for some time?! Anyone know the likelihood of the store replacing it there and then and just swapping my hdd over to a new machine? That would be preferable! I'm not gonna roll over and let them keep it for longer than it needs to be there...If they had the parts, would it be possible to repair within a day? I'm guessing they just whip the old fans out and stick new ones in? I think I could do it in a hour max (not that I'm stupid enough to void my warranty like that :p)

11. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, he did also say that if the replacement exhibits the same issue then 'they have a larger issue' and 'need to take further action'. Of course these reps are just people sitting on phones all day. It's just a shame that Apple doesn't have a better process to allow these issues to be fed back.

Seems rather poor customer service to keep sending replacements until you happen to get one with no issues. I think if my replacement is bad as well my next phone call to sales won't be so pleasant. :D

12. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Er, I think you missed the point of the post... see Option 3 above. When you phone, just tell them you NEED your laptop and can't send it back and await a replacement. This is particularly valid given the amount of time it can take to receive a replacement machine, but you can also tell them you need it for work.

13. donbenjy macrumors 6502

oh sorry, yeah I have that option obviously, but I forgot to mention I have a Genius appointment tomorrow, and I live close enough to the Apple Store that it's usually faster to go in than to wait for post etc.

Obviously option 3 is the best, but it is more hassle than swapping in store, and its a standard 2.4 MBP, so they will have ones in stock. It also means I don't play the lottery game, and I can review the machine before I take it home :p

I'm still not convinced that this isn't a widespread issue, as mine appeared a few days after I got the machine, and not everyone works in a perfectly silent environment. If that were the case and Apple didn't actually offer a replacement (assuming that the "replacements" develop the problem) then I would be fine to stick with this model, and put it down to early adopter issues.

14. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, just make sure they have them in stock. In the UK you'd be lucky to find any MBP's in stock anywhere! :eek:

15. donbenjy macrumors 6502

yeah, it's a bit silly really - I think the Birmingham store sold out in like 3 hours on the launch day - luckily I got mine though :cool:

They do have MBs in though, as a few of my friends bought them this week, so we'll see!