Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valerij Zajcev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I have just returned iMac from service.
I have installed new HDD in it and when I start iMac everything is fine for a few minutes but then fan start to become noisy and noisy and noisy...
This is my stats:
ODD: 998 RPM
HDD:4358 RPM
CPU:1199 RPM
Is this values normal or I should worry about it?
Noise is very loud.
I have tried to unplug power cable for 15sec and after 5 sec to turn mac on doesn't help.

Valerij Zajcev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Is this that temperature sensor (Middle slot)?
uo5O5NJPCoqZxEh1.huge

photosmike

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
It's late 2009

The iFixit Guide for Late 2009 21.5 iMac, EMC 2308

http://tinyurl.com/lfekxvt

Steps 8 & 10 address your problem.

"Before disconnecting the thermal sensor cable, take note of its orientation. It is extremely important to reinstall the connector reversed from the current orientation so the fans will not run at full speed."

If you have the iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 and 2374

http://tinyurl.com/qfdw6bd

Steps 8 & 10. Instructions are not the same as the 21.5" model.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Photosmike has the answer. My iMac came back sounding like a plane waiting to take off. It was so noisy that I had a hard time thinking straight around it. Music wouldn't cut the sound either. Since it was done at an Apple Store, I took it back and they made me happy...

It looks like, on some of those thermal sensors, that it would be easy to brake the wires, and if you leave it out, the poor thing thinks it's having hot flashes... It's a common symptom from what I remember.

Valerij Zajcev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
On step 8 I see that man remove that cable from motherboard.
I shouldn't touch that right?
On step 10 what is meant by "reverse the connector's position"?
Should I pull (that man hold by hand) that cable out of HDD and turn it around and back in?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
On step 8 I see that man remove that cable from motherboard.
I shouldn't touch that right?

You have to remove it because there isn't enough slack to remove the drive, otherwise you risk breaking the cables, or the connector. Check the orientation of the connector in reference to the socket to make sure that you plug it back in the proper way.

On step 10 what is meant by "reverse the connector's position"?
Should I pull (that man hold by hand) that cable out of HDD and turn it around and back in?

I ended up having the same drive model for the one that I replaced and plugged the cable in the same orientation. It worked.

I did find this program that claims to eliminate the fan sensor cable. If it works like they say, you might not have to open your mac again... It uses the SMART technology already built into most drives. Sounds like a more elegant solution than using the Apple cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.