Fan noise after latest firmware update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZionSiva, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ZionSiva macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've had a Unibody MacBook Pro (2.53,4 gb ram) since Christmas.

Yesterday I've installed the latest SMC Firmware update through Software Update. Now I can hear noise from the left fan even at very slow speed, like 2000 rpm, and the noise at around 4000 rpm is much more annoying than before.

Did anyone had a similar experience after the update?

2. bobiomongio macrumors newbie

Mine is ultrasilent but I mainly use the 9400M and nothing much processor intensive.

3. ZionSiva thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. I can now hear the sound even right after booting up the Mac. Right now I'm just costantly playing music just to cover it... I hope it will somehow fade away.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

Fans can have problems so take it to an Apple store or call AppleCare to see about getting it fixed. :D

5. ZionSiva thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I guess that's the way. I just found the thread about the update, and I've seen that the left fan is faster for everyone. Apparently, mine was noisy before and now is more apparent.

Does anyone know how long does it take for an apple store to fix a problem like this? I use the laptop to work, I can't really afford not to have it with me for a long time.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

That will depend on the problem I imagine. AppleCare via phone will require you to take it into a store or ship it to them. The store route might spare you the wait of shipping it off if they can fix it there, but there are no guarantees.