Fan noise after migration Assistant

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macman20, Jun 29, 2012.

1. macman20 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have 2011 imac. I just did migration assistant to transfer my wife acc and info to this imac from macbook. Her macbook was about to die. Since than my imac has continuos fan air coming out from upper slot. Any input?

Thankx

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Were you running FanControl or any other application to spin the fans up and keep your MacBook cool? Many of those applications run on the desktops too, causing their fans to spin up.

3. macman20 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I had run some fan utility on my wife's macbook. We had a bad fan and i had to replace that fan with new one. You think that might have caused that? if thats is the case how do i remove it.

Thank you

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You should get iStat or something like it to see what's going on. And check Activity Monitor and your login items to see if you started something that manually sets fan speed. I don't think something migrated from a user account would set that in motion, but ya never know.

It might be just the machine working hard to update the spotlight index.

5. macman20 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what causing this. I had tried to do pram, SMC all kinds of stuff. Activity monitor doesn't show any unusual process. :confused: