Fan Noise...again.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icedd, Sep 25, 2009.

1. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

So as some of you may know, I had extremely loud fans from my late 2008 uMBP. I finally got to Apple and they fixed both the fans right there on the spot, covered by the 1 year warranty.

Now several weeks later, I am noticing subtle humming noise coming from my left fan. I can only hear it when the room is quiet. It is even more evident when I lift it up to my ears (and then comparing it with the "normal" sound of my fixed right fan).

I did a search here, and some people had it fixed, some didn't. So my questions are:

Would they still fix it if there is just a humming noise? What if they don't hear it in the busy store?
    If I do go to the Apple store to fix it, should I bring my receipt from last time? Or does it not matter?

I..can go as many times as I want, as long as it's within the one year, correct?
    I should really get AppleCare...

2. Jottle macrumors 6502

At normal 2000rpm speeds, you should be able to hear your fans (just slightly humming) from a few feet away. It's not completely silent as they say. Some of us have more sensitive hearing than others. If you can only hear your fans from a foot or so away when the room is dead silent, this is normal. I've had two unibody mbp's that were both this way. The left fan on both of mine is slightly louder as well. It probably has to do with the way the air goes out the exhaust. Who knows. You'll have a difficult time getting a genius to fix it. If you think it's still defective, try a third party authorized apple repair center. They're likely to have a quieter place to listen to your mac. Just don't let them charge you a diagnostic fee!