Fan noise/heat issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BanditKir, Oct 29, 2008.

1. BanditKir macrumors newbie

So I've been reading through the reads about fan noise issues and this being my first macbook pro I've found myself a little paranoid so I'm wondering if somebody could clarify for me what's normal and what it isn't.

I just got my macbook pro yesterday (2.8 ghz 320 gb hd @ 7200) and I've installed 32 bit Windows XP. When running XP I've already noticed it runs a bit warmer than in Mac OS and while I haven't found a working monitor yet in windows, in Mac OS the CPU sits around 52 C. In windows, I've noticed some fan bursts occasionally when applying updates.

All of this didn't really bother me until I read people describing their computers as "dead quiet." Is that an exaggeration or should there really be no detectable sound? I find that I would never quite describe it as being "dead quiet" though the sound it does make a large percentage of the time isn't detectable from more than 2 feet away.

I should note that now that I've switched to Mac OS X it seems to be cooling down to a better running temperature than it was in Windows. Has anybody else noticed excessive heat in Windows XP 32-bit?

Again, I feel like I'm being paranoid but being as much of an investment as it was I want to make sure everything's perfect.

2. eddyhttp macrumors regular

is your computer plugged in? i noticed the fan is louder when its plugged in b/c it has unlimited power.

when i bring the lap top to class its dead quiet while surfing and using word

3. orange1box macrumors newbie

I also have a whirring noise in my new macbook pro.
    The noise is not common sound like my old Mac book.
    I sent it to a local service provider, this morning, and they told me it has a defective fan (Left side fan).
    You should check your pro with Apple service.

I'm also suffering excessive heat issue on Boot Camp (Vista 32bit).
    Especially, the left on the bottom of screen and power connecter area are so hot.
    It(excessive heat) could affect malfunction of the left side fan.

4. BanditKir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I found a program to monitor the CPU's temperature in Windows (Core Temp in case anybody else is looking) and I found that with just firefox running my cores both reached around 70 degrees. I'm taking my computer in to have it looked at Friday.

5. BlooBamboo macrumors newbie

When I first plugged the power adapter into my new MBP it started to make a clicking noise that increased in volume, as though a fan was hitting something. The machine seemed to work OK but I couldn't have lived with the noise.

Apple support gave me the option of taking it to a service centre or a replacement machine. I've chosen the latter so whilst the old one is being picked up today, it does mean that I've another two weeks wait for its replacement. :(

6. toebs macrumors member

In vista 64bit, with everything turned off (aero, superfetch and so on) i experience crazy temps.

CPU 68C-70C just browsing the web.
    GPU about the same.

i have the p8600 cpu (2.4ghz penryn), around the web i see ppl with HP comps and same cpu reporting of idle temps around 38C