Fan noise in new unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejuanpiman, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ejuanpiman macrumors member

Hello everyone, tonight I went to accomodate my new unibody MBP while im laying down and I noticed that my fans start making a small tickling noise when I flip my laptop upside down whiles its on. Its very low, but the minute I set it back straight it goes away. Can anyone please check theres just to make sure mines isnt damaged. You need to do this in a quiet setting. Thanks everyone for taking time to read my post.

2. omegasyn macrumors regular

Mine does it in all angles. Thinking about going to the applestore next week and get it looked at.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Don't flip moving parts over to see what happens. :|

4. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

Anyone please can you check your unibody MBP?

5. rmarinheira macrumors member

Mine does that too and I think all of them do!

It's just the HDD parking its head! Absolutelly normal!

6. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

Well I head the hardrive parking its head, but this is something that stays clicking if I leave it upside down or incline it alot...

7. likegadgets macrumors 6502

My brand new Macbook Pro had a "geiger counter" like not too loud noise. Tapping lightly on the left speaker would make it go away for a few minutes and then it would return.

I made a Genius appointment and because of the noise in the store it was barely noticeable. I convinced the Genius to listen to it in the back room and he confirmed the noise. The machine was 3 days old but I had purchased it at an authorized mail order dealer and not at the Apple store. The mail order dealer was out of stock (first week) for a DOA replacement.

The Apple store at first said they would not replace it there because I did not purchased it there. They would send it for service, expecting a week turnaround. After speaking to the manager and explaining I was a recent Mac adopter (I also got an iMac) I was disappointed that they would not exchange a brand new machine after all their advertising on the amazing convenience of having an Apple store and Genius Bar.

Because the machine was indeed brand new, and I had the box and packing materials, he finally agreed to exchange it. Furthermore he agreed to swap the Hard Drives because I had already spent hours setting it up.

The replacement machine's fans have been whisper quite.

From what I read - there are a few reports of the fan noise, so Apple should be aware of this by now.

8. omegasyn macrumors regular

So I assume if the product wasn't purchased directly from the applestore, it is not their responsibility to resolve the issue even though it is indeed still an apple product? Talk about incompetency.

9. likegadgets macrumors 6502

They did offer to send it for repair. The initial argument was that it was not their inventory, and it was the selling dealer's responsibility to do the exchange for a new machine (I suppose they would only exchange, rather than repair, during the first 30 days). The selling dealer, MacConnection, was willing to exchange but had no inventory. At that moment I was simply going to return the machine to them and order another one from someone else or buy at the Apple store, but needed to figure out how to get my data and erase the drive.

The Apple store manager was more cooperative than the Genius, who I suppose had no authority. But the manager did took care of it and I walked out with a new replacement and trouble free unit.

10. omegasyn macrumors regular

I wonder what kind of story I would need to make up when I go in for an exchange since the machine was given to me by a family member with no recipe. But I did call up apple and they said my machine came with a 3-year applecare warranty.

11. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I don't think you need to tell them any story other than the fact it is making noise. I see you have a model with a solid state drive, probably ordered online. The stores usually do not stock these, so that makes a swap for a new machine unlikely.

12. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I got a replacement at the store for my girlfriend's and my macbook's without receipts...

I didn't even have ID for her, but I may have been a special case cause they basically ruined her computer during repair and I emailed steve jobs about it.

They were registered to our name in their computers based on the wizard when you first open it up...

They might swap the drives in a new machine for him though.

13. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

cool this thread went completely somewhere else, awesome!

14. omegasyn macrumors regular

That is not a problem. I'll just install the previous 320GB as it has a fresh install of OSX.

Now my question is, if I did swap the replacement MBP with my SSD, will that create a problem with booting up since I am using the same OSX from the previous MBP on a new replacement?