Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanHans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I have a Mac Pro which i bought in February. However, the fan noise from my Mac has relly got loud. I can constantly hear the rear fan hummilng. Is this normal? Because when it was new it ran dead silent...(except when runnig heawyer applicatins)

And is there any maintenance tasks which I can preforme to correct this?

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
It might be running warmer due to dust build up. I would recommend opening it up and checking for that and maybe getting some compressed air to clean it out some.

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
Take it outside, open it up and blow it out with compressed air. Pay special attention to the fans and heat sinks as these can get pretty dusty. Also you may want to pull the memory risers out and get as much dust off there as possible, they get dusty pretty fast.

You may want to stand upwind of the dust or wear one of these so you don't inhale any dust.
6cip4w8.jpg

You should notice your system running a lot cooler and quieter after this. Maintenance like this should be done at least once every few months.

kimkrause

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
mac pro fan noise

i have also noticed an increase in the sound of my machines fans. it seemed to occur with a firmware update about 3 or 4 weeks ago. maybe they had to crank up the fan to keep things cool, but i must say this is still the quietest and coolest running mac tower for years......

hanHans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I opend it up yesterday and ran a fan controll program, with the fans at max speed for a few minutes. It seems to run quieter now. I think some dust got blown away. But I will try to clean the ram chips after work today.

I also noticed an increaced fan speed after the latest firmware update. Hope they’ll fix it soon.

But still, my Mac Pro is running much quieter then all my frends’ PCs. However, when it was new I could barely hear it running.

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I opend it up yesterday and ran a fan controll program, with the fans at max speed for a few minutes. It seems to run quieter now. I think some dust got blown away. But I will try to clean the ram chips after work today.

I also noticed an increaced fan speed after the latest firmware update. Hope they’ll fix it soon.

But still, my Mac Pro is running much quieter then all my frends’ PCs. However, when it was new I could barely hear it running.

I would reset the SMC, this may help resolve the problem, I had a similar issue following a firmware update.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304123

hanHans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Mac Pro fan noise almost solved

Most of my fan noise came from the ATI Radeon video card fan, which I took out and cleaned dust from (there were ALLOT:eek:)

When I had reassembled; I booted up my Mac and could here almost no sound from the fan:D

However, there are still some fan noise left (NOT FROM THE VIDEO CARD), which seems to come from the power supply. Thus, I think my next step will be to find a way too clean it, hopefully without disassembling too much:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.