Fan Noise MB vs. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joehack, Jun 9, 2007.

1. joehack macrumors member

Hello

When I do some CPU intense stuff on my 1st gen MB, the fan immediatly kicks off. In a Google Earth session, the fan runs more or less constantly. The same applies for YouTube, Google Video etc.

Now that Apple released new MBPs, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 15" MBP. I hoping that the new MBPs don't run that hot, hence require less fan cooling.

Does someone has experience with both models?

Jochen

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

i don't know about the mbp, but my mb (see sig) runs quiet and cool when i have itunes, firefox, msn messenger and maybe some other stuff running. however, when i burned a cd on to itunes once, the temp rised to 80 degrees and the fans were loud. i dunno if it was normal or not :confused: . however, it's fine during normal uses.

Edit: the fans don't kick in during youtube or anything like that.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

it's funny how much ppl freak out over the faintest sign of fan noise these days. remember how loud computers used to be? :p

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Not that bad, from my experience. They're just having to get clever about cooling now to keep them as quiet.

What's really scary is the X-Box 360. That thing's easily several times louder than my PC :eek:

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think it is more in the new CPUs. The C2Ds run cooler than the older CDs.

6. Cole Slaw Suspended

Cole Slaw

I wonder if maybe the Macbook's integrated graphics might be part of the reason the (cpu?) fan kicks in so much using apps/websites the original poster mentioned.
    If that's so I guess the Macbook Pro, having dedicated graphics, wouldn't have the fan "issue".

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Quite the opposite, I would have thought. Dedicated GPUs tend to produce a lot of heat and usually require their own fans.