Fan Noise on 13-inch Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soundbase, Nov 17, 2011.

1. soundbase, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

soundbase macrumors newbie

My 13-inch Macbook Pro is making a loud fan noise.

I have taken the unit through to my Apple Service centre in South Africa and they have run diagnostic tests on the unit and say that the fans and hardware are fine. They said that there was a problem with the system software.

I have reinstalled the system software and booted up from system discs and the machine still makes a noise.

I have also tried the fan control programs to try see if I could reduce the noise, but that did not help.

Anything else I can try before going back to the service centre and saying they are wrong?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If they didn't take your MBP apart, how can they know that the fans are ok. This is one of the few mechanical pieces in the MBP, and even if they have some function sensors, they are most likely not able to detect a slight defect.

4. itechie macrumors newbie

maybe the fans are clogged up with some dust, have you tried cleaning it out perhaps with some compressed air?

5. soundbase thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tried resetting the SMC. Still no luck.

I have taken the bottom off and blown out the fan and components with a compressor.

I have spoken to the service centre again and they are going to check the sensors and some other components that may be the problem.

They checked the fan and said it was okay. Funny enough they say it didnt make a noise when it was there, but as soon as I brought it back home it made a noise. I can hear that it is not a fan issue, as I have heard a faulty fan before and it makes a different sort of noise.

This is more like there is just alot of air which is coming out the back of the macbook pro.

I use it on a daily basis and have noticed the difference in sound. Obviously at the service centre they didnt listen closely to the noise on the unit.

Lets hope they find out what it is.

6. xDC macrumors member

My macbook started doing some super loud sound after about one year. When I opened it, I found out it was my HDD doing the loud sound that seemed like a bad fan. I put an ssd and I cannot hear it anymore. I just took off the bottom plate and opened the screen for the computer to wake from sleep.

xDC

7. atomsmith macrumors newbie

8. l3l2lzzl3 macrumors newbie

Hmm... This is weird...

Maybe check your temperatures using istat. maybe high temperature is making the fan spin faster hence the "wind blowing" noise.

Just my 2 cents.

9. jtabije macrumors newbie

If the noise is coming from the bottom right side of your MBP (right of the trackpad), perhaps the issue is due to your HDD.

10. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Did anyone resolve this issue? Mine was noisier after the 10.6.8 upgrade. No idea why, something must have changed on that update, but it was fine up till then

11. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked the temperature and fan speed with iStat Pro and the CPU activity with Activity Monitor?

12. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Thanks, no not yet.
    Just thought if there was a mass debate of going from 10.6.7 to .8 that I may have not known about it, as it was fine previously so has to have something related I'm guessing, and of course presuming it is the fan

13. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Could it be the SMC firmware update that's done this. If so, can you tell me how it can be reverted back to get rid of it?

14. simsaladimbamba

I don't know which of the many firmware updates you talk about, the Lion Recovery part one?
    And what did Activity Monitor and iStat Pro tell you?

15. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

SMC Firmware update 1.5 Snow Leopard, it appeared after 10.6.8 was updated.

It's a bit over 2000 on idle, but it's a hell of a lot louder than it was before the updates, as well as going a lot higher after a few short minutes of doing very little, whereby before it never came on or was heard rarely. Now it goes manic after a few short periods. If it is that firmware update now causing these problems, please can you tell me how to get rid of it?

16. simsaladimbamba

2000 RPM is the idle speed, it never gets slower than that (maybe to 1995 RPM or so). Maybe your fan is dirty or something is clogging it?

And I can't help you with removing a firmware, as I don't have experience with that (never needed to), maybe Advanced Search can help there.

Or maybe watch the relation between fan speed, temperature and CPU activity, as a higher CPU activity causes more heat, which causes a faster spinning fan.

17. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Since May when I had this of last year, it's been fine. It's too much of a coincidence for it not to be the updates. Either one of them has caused this. It comes on now, or should I say it goes a lot higher... when I do 'anything' on here. That has to be the update.

I've searched on here for removals but can't find anything anywhere?